Thursday, May 26, 2011

Believing

A/N: Happy Birthday, JayneRulis. We hope you have a great day, and that you enjoy these boys.
As ever, we do not own Twilight.
ooOoo

Call

Baby, I'm sorry... They canceled my flight, and everything else is booked solid.”

Sighing, I run my fingers through my hair, disappointment settling deep into my bones. Tonight was supposed to be special; we're debuting our newest single – a song I wrote for Edward – and now he won't even be here.

I try to mask the hurt I feel. It's not his fault, after all. Still, I wish more than anything he could be here. It’s already been weeks. “What are you going to do? You going to be alright?”

I can almost hear his smile. “I'll be fine, love.”

Push

It takes effort to focus, but I manage to make it through our rehearsal. Every line of the song I wrote for him pulls at me, making me miss him more. The other guys pick up on it, of course, and as I’m putting my guitar away, Garrett nudges my shoulder.

“He’ll be here tomorrow, right?”

I nod and force a smile. “Yup, should be here sometime tomorrow afternoon.”

If they don’t cancel this flight.

The thought is bitter, and Garrett winks. “First round’s on me tomorrow night.”

“Thanks, G,” I answer with a real smile.

Just one more day.


Check

Last minute soundchecks are done, and all of us are ready and eager to get the show going. Before we take the stage, we each have our little rituals we never fail to do. Garrett and Peter mutter quietly to themselves. Benny plays air-drums, and Kate does some deep-breathing exercises.

I pluck my phone from my pocket in anticipation of a “break a leg”-text from Edward. He's never failed to send me one before, but tonight... nothing. Quickly typing out a text to ask if he's okay, I almost miss my cue.

Pushing all thoughts away, I make my entrance.


Concert

Sweat is pouring, bass is thumping, and I can’t help grinning. No matter how I feel before a show, these are the moments I live for.

Well, some of the moments.

The rest are in Edward’s arms. For now, I take what I can get, feeding on adrenaline as the crowd belts out lyrics with me. When the time comes, Garrett ad-libs a bass line, his fingers working their magic on the crowd, which slowly quiets.

“We got a little surprise for y’all tonight,” I begin, only to be interrupted by a swelling shriek. I exchange a grin with Garrett.


Encore

The crowd's reaction to the song, which I dedicate to Edward despite his not being there to hear it, is amazing. It always surprises me how they can go from screaming enthusiasm to utter quiet so quickly, only to erupt once again.

It never ceases to thrill me – more so, tonight, because of how close my heart is to this particular song.

It's the last of our set, and as is our custom, we ask the crowd what one song they want to hear again before we leave.

My heart swells when they all scream, “You Keep Believing” – Edward's song.


Ambivalent

A party will be waiting for us at the hotel; it always is. Around me, the band talks excitedly, but I keep staring out the window, feeling somehow… less. When I went on tour, Edward worried that I’d forget him, that I’d find someone else – or many someone elses.

But it just hasn’t happened.

If anything, it’s only strengthened what I already knew: he’s the one for me.

That certainty puts a smile on my face, and I shove away the melancholy as we pull up to the curb. Screaming voices greet us as we climb out of the limo.


Press

We almost have to fight our way through the crowd surrounding us as we try to get into our hotel.

Hands are grasping, trying to get a hold of something – anything – that they can claim for themselves.

They scream our names, “I love you!”, “Marry me!” and all sorts of crazy shit. I hardly pay attention to any of it. I rarely did before, but right now all I can even think of is getting to my room to try to call Edward. I'm not even in the mood to party.

Finally, we reach the lobby, where it's surprisingly quiet.


Surprise

Just as I flop down on my bed to call Edward, my phone rings. “Garrett?” I answer. “What’s up?”

“Hey, J… man, I think you need to get down here.”

Frowning, I run my fingers through my hair. “Why? What’s wrong?”

He laughs. “Just do it.”

I sigh as he hangs up. Muttering to myself, I stand and head back downstairs. People have trickled into the lobby, and I have to crane my neck to see around people and over their heads.

I can’t find Garrett anywhere, and I’m just about to give up when I spot someone else instead.


Pounce

For a moment, I just stand there, convinced I'm dreaming.

It can't be...

I lose sight of him briefly as a couple walk past me. My heart beats faster as his unruly mop of red hair becomes visible again – quickly followed by a tired grin as my eyes travel downward.

“Edward!”

Ignoring everyone else, I all but run to him, jumping him as soon as I reach him – arms and legs firmly around him as he holds me up. He always has – though I doubt he realizes it - and hopefully always will.

I kiss him for all I'm worth.


Question

His hands tighten on my thighs as he kisses me deeply. Finally, he sighs reluctantly and lowers me to the ground.

“How did you get here?” I demand, my fingers tangling in his hair.

He laughs and presses his forehead against mine. “I put myself on standby. When a spot came open…”

He answers every question I fire at him until I finally say, “I wish you could’ve been there tonight.”

“I was,” he whispers. “Thank you. That song was…” He trails off, shaking his head with a smile. “Think I could get a private performance?”

“Every single day, baby.”

2 comments: