Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Note


A/N: Happy Birthday, IngenueFic! We hope you have an absolutely fantastic day.
As ever, we do not own Twilight - it owns us.
ooOoo

Plan

For weeks I've been planning for tonight, wanting to have everything just right. Perfect. Bella deserves nothing less.

I should've known better, though. My poor girl's been stuck at work doing massive amounts of overtime for the past three weeks, thanks to a sudden take-over of her workplace and the resulting changes. They lost half their staff and are now having to make up the difference.

As if she wasn't already up to her ears in work, I grumble silently.

So instead of the grand plans of dinner out and a horse and carriage ride after, I'm home. Making dinner.


Ready

Granted, I'm cooking her favorite dinner, and the table's set with Mom's fine china, which she's letting me borrow for the occasion. Candles are lit, and jazz music is playing quietly in the background.

Bella's called earlier to let me know she was heading out of the office, so I expect her any minute.

I'm stirring the portabello sauce, contemplating whether to hurry and finish before she gets here, or to have her find me in the kitchen, when I hear the click of the lock.

“Hey, baby, I'm home, I'm sorry I'm so-” Her soft voice cuts off abruptly.


Surprise

Breathe, Edward.

Carefully focusing on my task, I finish plating the food. “I'm in here, Bella.”

As I hear her put her bags down on her way to the kitchen, I check to make sure the dessert tray is out of sight. That is one thing I don't intend for her to see – yet.

She touches my elbow lightly, her eyes taking in all the food before zeroing in on mine. “Edward,” she breathes, “what's going on?”

“Nothing, just wanted to pamper you a little,” I say, putting on my best crooked smile – the one she claims always dazzles her.


Compromise

She narrows her eyes before kissing me quickly. “Thank you,” she whispers.

Smiling, I breathe a quiet sigh of relief that she's dropping this. I know I won't be able to lie to her beyond a white one like this.

Bella insists on helping me carry the food to the table, which I grudgingly allow, muttering under my breath that I'm supposed to be pampering her. She merely chuckles, brushing off my complaints.

Just as we're about to eat, she frowns again, looking more closely at the dishes. “Edward? What-?”

“I told you. I wanted to pamper you a little.”


Check

Her frown deepens, her head tilting slightly, and I know she's going over the calendar in her head, trying to remember if today is an important date that she's forgotten. Shaking her head slightly, she begins to eat in silence that quickly turns to soft moans of delight.

She looks at me, smiling. “Thank you, sweetheart. I appreciate this more than you know.”

I take her hand, squeezing it lightly. “You're welcome. Now eat. I have a special dessert planned for you.”

Her eyes twinkle as her lip curves up.

“Out of the gutter, woman,” I grouse playfully.

She laughs.


Enjoy

We talk about our day while we eat, though obviously I have to be very careful about what I let slip. She doesn't seem to suspect anything as she tells me about the work she, Alice, Jacob, and Seth got saddled with.

We've both finished our plates and are enjoying each other as well as the wine when she finally closes her eyes, takes a deep, cleansing breath, and looks at me with a wide smile. Holding up her glass, she says, “You always let me vent without trying to come up with solutions. Thanks. I feel much better now.”


Dessert

Grinning, I get up and start clearing the table, kissing her when she protests. “You stay put. I've got this. Sit back and close your eyes while I get dessert ready,” I order.

Surprisingly, she complies, folding her hands in her lap as she waits expectantly.

Making quick work of putting the dishes in the sink, I get the tray ready, making sure the ring and my note are front and center, the small bowl of chocolate mousse to the side.

After several calming breaths, I take the tray out to the table and place it in front of her.


Pause

She’s sitting there so calmly. I can tell by the twitching of her lips as she fights a smile that she knows I’m there. She tries hard to be good, though, and I feel a surge of love and pride as I look at her, taking in her soft, pink lips and pale skin framed by dark hair.

She’s beautiful, just like the day I met her.

I reach out to straighten the note, and my eyes linger on the simple words:

I can’t wait… to spend the rest of my life with you.

Never have I meant anything more.


Ask

I kiss her lips lightly, but rather than returning to my seat, I kneel beside her. “Open your eyes, Bella,” I whisper.

She does so, blinking in confusion when she doesn't find me opposite her as she expects. Next, her eyes land on the tray in front of her, and she gasps, her hand flying to her mouth as she turns to look at me. A quiet, “Oh my God,” escapes her sweet lips.

Taking her other hand in mine, I swallow past the lump in my throat. “Bella, would you marry me?”

She nods, tears spilling over her cheeks.


Begin

With a trembling hand, I reach for the ring on the tray and place it gently on her finger before lifting it to my lips, kissing it reverently. “Thank you,” I whisper, “You've made me the happiest man alive.”

She hiccups a laugh, throwing her arms around my neck. “I can't believe this, Edward. I love you so, so much.”

Kissing her temple, I murmur, “I love you, too, my Bella. More than my own life. Will you really be my wife?” I can't help but ask.

“Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes,” she laughs.

Pulling back, I kiss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment