Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Reminders


A/N: Happy Birthday, mjpiper! We hope you have a fantastic day.
As ever, we do not own Twilight - it owns us.
ooOoo

Spy

Standing at the kitchen sink, I peer out the window under the pretense of washing my hands. I can’t help but smile at my little girl, all dressed up and sitting on the garden bench like a proper little lady.

Edward wraps his arms around my waist and kisses my neck. “She’s fine,” he murmurs.

“I know,” I answer automatically. “I’m just making sure she doesn’t mess up her dress.”

“You mean you’re watching to make sure Mason doesn’t take after his daddy,” he teases.

I can’t help but laugh. “Maybe,” I allow. “She’s just so beautiful.”

“And only four.”


Observe

“I know,” I repeat, sighing.

Edward chuckles lowly, his lips teasing the skin beneath my ear before he rests his chin on my shoulder. We both watch through the window as Mason comes barreling across the yard to hop up on the bench beside Bella. Edward inhales sharply when she draws back her small bouquet of roses like she’s going to hit her cousin.

Then he laughs when she grins mischievously and kisses him on the cheek instead.

I grumble under my breath, and Edward tickles my side. “Come on… Alice would’ve been furious if she’d messed up those flowers.”


Caring

With the flower crisis averted, Edward tries to distract me by turning me around. I lean against the counter as he puts both hands on my hips and kisses me relentlessly until I’m smiling – and panting.

“Now… what’s got you so pensive?” he asks with a small grin.

I shrug, but when I start to glance back over my shoulder out the window, he stops me with a hand on my cheek. I meet his green eyes and give him a weak smile.

“It’s stupid,” I warn.

“I seriously doubt that.” His eyes, like his smile, are warm and inviting.


Talk

“It’s just… Alice should be that age, you know? I mean, she was… what? Five? When you guys moved next door. I remember her being this little tag-along and now…” I let my arms drift down from his neck until my hands are resting on his biceps. I so clearly remember Edward’s little sister – ten years his junior – running around in overalls and pigtails.

“Now she’s getting married,” Edward supplies with pride in his voice.

I nod.

“So… you’re upset that we’re getting old?” he teases gently.

I give him a flat look, and his smile softens.  “I know, Jazz.”


Reassurance

“It’ll go fast, yes… but we have at least a decade or two before we have to worry about her meeting the person she wants to marry. Don’t you want that for her?”

I exhale heavily, muttering under my breath. “Of course I do. I just… can’t we keep her four forever?”

Edward laughs and presses his lips to mine. “Not without some serious Dr. Who timey-wimey kinda stuff.”

I roll my eyes, but as usual, he knows how to bring a smile to my face.

“Look at the bright side,” he whispers. “At least McCarty boys will be off-limits.”


Interruption

“You still bad-mouthing me, Cullen?” a deep voice says.

We turn to find Emmett standing in the doorway of the kitchen. He winks and grins as he crosses the floor to stand near us, looking out the window. I can see his shoulders square in pride as he watches his son. “Mason’s a good kid.”

“You are, too, Emmett,” I tell him.

“I know. I’m awesome.”

We all chuckle, and Emmett claps both Edward and me on the shoulder. “Come on… Ali just called and said it’s time to get the show on the road. I’ll go grab the kids.”


Tease

He disappears out the side door as Edward steps back to look at me critically. He straightens my tie and brushes off my shoulder before meeting my eyes. “You look gorgeous,” he murmurs. His lips linger against mine as he promises, “I’ll show you just how gorgeous when this is all over.”

“Mmm… promise?”

“Absolutely. No matter what else you are, you’re still the man I want to wake up to every day… and make moan my name every night.” Stepping back, he grins. “Just remember that when you start to freak out today, okay?”

“Jesus… how could I forget?”


Time

The door opens, pushing away lustful thoughts – well, to the back of my mind, anyway – as the kids come skipping inside. Bella rushes over to us and wraps her arms around both our knees, peering up at us with a grin. “It’s time!” she squeals.

Before we can answer, she takes off again, heading into the living room where the rest of the family waits.

Emmett follows behind, herding Mason, and we’re left alone again.

“Better now?” Edward says.

I smile, nodding. “When did you become the calm one?”

“The day you said ‘I do,’” he answers with a smile.


Rush

For all that time has dragged all morning, it seems to fly as we pile into the cars and head for the church. The rush makes my chest tighten, reminding me too keenly of my fears that Bella’s life will pass just as quickly.

As we head inside, Edward is a charmer – talking to family members, greeting guests, introducing us to people we haven’t met – while I feel trapped.

When we take our seats in the pew, he puts his arm around my shoulders and kisses my temple softly. “Relax, love,” he breathes. “Garrett will take good care of Alice.”


Calm

I nod, unable to tell him that I’m not really thinking about his sister. I’m thinking about time.

The music starts, and everyone turns toward the doors. It’s not until I hear a chuckle that I look, though.

I laugh at Bella dramatically placing flower petals before her, stopping every few feet to swat at Mason, who steps all over them. When they get to the front, Bella cranes her neck, waving frantically when she sees her dads.

Edward’s smile is infectious, and I feel that knot loosening in my chest. “I love you,” I whisper.

“Forever, Jasper… I swear.”

No comments:

Post a Comment