Friday, October 7, 2011

Home, Sweet Home


A/N: Happy Birthday,Michellephants! We hope you had a fantastic day.
As ever, we do not own Twilight - it owns us.
ooOoo

“Hmrph...”

Blinking blearily against the invasive sunlight sneaking between the curtains, I reach next to me. Finding only an empty space instead of Bella, I frown and groan.

Too early...

Glancing at the clock, I'm shocked to find it's almost noon.

Still too early.

I got home around 1:00 AM after two weeks away on assignment, after all, with barely any sleep during that time. All I really want to do right now is sleep with Bella in my arms. The rest can wait, as far as I'm concerned.

The world can wait.

Lifting my head, I search for her.


ooOoo


It takes me a much longer than it should for the sounds to filter through my sleep-addled brain, but when they do, I grin.

Kitchen. Should've known.

I stretch my body slowly, taking several deep breaths before I even attempt to get out of bed. When I do, I go through my morning rituals and then pull on a shirt and boxers. With a sigh, I pad quietly out of our room to look for Bella.

Sure enough, she's in the kitchen, preparing an elaborate breakfast as usual upon my return home. Leaning against the doorframe, I watch and smile.


ooOoo


Bella's humming, shimmying along to music only she can hear as she cuts up several oranges and starts to make juice. I wince at the sudden noise of the juicer.

A quick glance tells me she's already finished with everything else, except for the bacon and eggs that are still frying in the pan. The table is already set with pancakes, syrup, toast, muffins, fruit – too much food for any one person, but so typically Bella.

Quietly, I sneak up behind her and wind my arms around her waist even as I kiss her neck. “You spoil me,” I murmur.


ooOoo


Bella lets out a squeak of surprise before dissolving into giggles. Twisting around slightly, she pauses her juice-making efforts and kisses me lightly on the lips. “Good morning, sleepyhead. And I don't spoil you. I'm merely making sure you have a reason to come home to me.”

I snort and squeeze her tightly to me as I grumble, “You're all the reason I'll ever need, baby. Haven't you figured out by now that I love you?”

She beams. “I love you, too. That's why I'm doing all of this.”

“Silly woman,” I tease, kissing her again.

She nudges me playfully.


ooOoo


Letting her go reluctantly, I tend to the bacon and eggs, ignoring her protests as I plate them up. She finishes making orange juice with a huff, though the smile playing on her lips tells me she's not really mad.

Pouring us both a cup of coffee, I add milk and sugar to hers just the way she likes it before sitting down. Bella joins me with two tall glasses of juice in hand. Taking both from her, I pull her in for a kiss, murmuring, “Thanks, sweetheart.”

“You're welcome.”

We sit, eating and talking quietly about everything I missed.


ooOoo


It feels good to reconnect again. To do the everyday things that most people take for granted. As we put away the leftover food and do the dishes, I realize once again just how lucky I am to even have all of this.

I know not many in my profession have someone waiting at home, like I have Bella. Even fewer have someone that sticks around for the long run.

Drying my hands carefully, I turn and pull her to stand between my legs. Kissing her gently, I smile. “You're amazing, you know that?”

She grins. “So I've been told.”


ooOoo


I chuckle, tightening my arms around her. “Thank you.”

She frowns in confusion and says softly, “For what, Edward?”

I shrug. “For being you. Loving me. Staying by my side, even with everything I do.”

Cupping my cheek, she searches my eyes briefly, then smiles. “For better or worse, ‘til death do us part, remember?”

I nod, swallowing hard as I push away the very real possibility of the latter coming true sooner rather than later, given my job.

She brushes my cheek, murmuring, “And maybe not even then. You're stuck with me, Cullen.”

“Wouldn't want it any other way.”

No comments:

Post a Comment