Sunday, March 14, 2010

Be Careful What You Wish For Chapter 5 - It Stops Today

A/N:Thank you so much to our betas kimberlycullen10, EchoesOfTwilight, and theladyingrey42 for reading this continuously and giving us fantastic feedback. We love you ladies! We did not finish this chapter until late, however, so any mistakes you find here are totally our doing and not the fault of these lovely ladies.

We don't own any of these characters, but we do own their story. We hope you will enjoy their journey.

----------

Charlie POV

I pulled out the plate of fried chicken and mashed potatoes with a heavy sigh. The note I had left for Bella was crumpled and lay precariously on top of it. Again.

I had left her a plate of food every day for the past couple of days. The notes I left with them went unread, of that I was sure, because thinking she was too stubborn to read them hurt less than believing my own daughter hated me so much that she would continue to ignore me even after reading what I had to say.

Since she wasn't speaking to me, I figured that at least putting my apologies on paper might do some good. But... nothing. I placed the plate in the microwave and turned it on, leaning against the counter as I waited for it to be done. There was no point in wasting the food, after all - though I would rather have had my daughter.

She seemed to be avoiding me at all costs, and the few times that we had been in the same room together, she had either pretended I wasn't there or acted so coldly she might as well have stabbed me in the heart with a knife.

I had hoped that after I gave her the truck, she might at least have mellowed a little, maybe opened up to talking, tell me what was going on in her head - and let me explain my side of things.

I knew she wasn't talking to her mother, either. Renee had called here in tears, raging for all of two minutes before apologizing. She felt like she had let both of us down, and while I tried to relieve her of that burden - one that was mine and mine alone to bear - it had done little good.

I had promised Renee I would keep her posted on how things went with Bella, and she said that if Bella decided she wanted to move back to Phoenix to let her know. She would go home immediately if that was what Bella needed. Though it pained me to no end to do it, I agreed - even as I was praying for a miracle by that point.

The microwave beeped, so I carefully pulled the hot plate out. I grabbed a fork and napkin and put everything on the small kitchen table. After getting a beer from the fridge, I sat down and poked at my food. I hated eating alone. Over the years, I had gotten used to having dinner with Carlisle - it was the one time that, our schedules permitting, we were able to sit back and catch up on each other's days.

The silence that hung in the house now was deafening to me. Bella was in her room after storming through the place earlier, muttering under her breath. I had just caught a snippet as she stalked right past me, "...no goddamn decent bookstore in this freaktown..."

I hadn't even called her on her language. I was too stunned to react as I had no doubt that her view on Forks was largely due to how she felt about me.

Great.

I picked up a piece of chicken and tore into it angrily, as if the vehemence of that action could make the pain any less. Despite the fact that fried chicken was one of my favorite things that Carlisle made, I didn't taste it. It was as if - between Bella's loathing and Carlisle's absence - life had lost all manner of flavor for me.

I finished eating as quickly as possible, cleaning up the few dishes before going to Bella's room. I knocked quietly, closing my eyes as I steeled myself for the inevitable cold shoulder. "Bella?"

I heard her chair creak as she got up, followed by shuffling and a low oath along with a thud. The door opened just enough for me to see Bella, watching me with an eyebrow raised in question. Silent treatment it is, then. I repressed the sigh that threatened to come out and rubbed the back of my neck, trying to loosen the muscles as they tightened.

"Just wanted to know if you needed anything before school tomorrow?"

She huffed, rolling her eyes as she crossed her arms over her chest. I stuffed both hands in my pockets, my shoulders hunching up as I did. I looked at her pleadingly. "Really, Bella...can't we just..."

Before I could even finish my sentence, the door closed in front of me, and I heaved a heavy sigh. I knew I had screwed up with all of this - I knew it, but did I really deserve this?

I didn't know how much more of this I could take - not on my own, at least. I needed my partner, now more than ever. Unfortunately, at this moment, even if I had been able to talk to him, it would do no good, as he would be starting his shift.

I trudged into our bedroom and closed the door before leaning back against it. I took in my surroundings, my eyes lighting on every picture that adorned the room. Every snapshot was one of my family, of those I loved.

My eyes fell on the picture on my nightstand, the one of Carlisle and me at the beach in La Push. I walked over to the bed and sat down as I picked up the simple black frame. Tracing Carlisle's silhouette with my finger, I couldn't help the fond smile on my lips as I thought back to the day it was taken.

It had been a long day, one even longer in the making. Carlisle had decided a few years before that he didn't want to keep dealing with renewing his visa and had started the process of naturalization. It was expensive, tedious - and, frankly, a royal pain in the butt. In the end it was worth it, though.

Ten years after he had moved here - almost to the day - he had taken the last few steps needed, and after a trip to the Seattle Federal Courthouse, he was officially an American citizen. He would no longer have to deal with immigration, and that sword of him possibly - unlikely as it was - being forced to leave, or being refused re-entry into the country, was now gone. We had celebrated, just the two of us, by having a nice lunch in Seattle afterward, but Sue and Sarah - and Billy and Harry, too - had insisted on having a bigger celebration together.

We had all sat by a bonfire as we enjoyed the food Sue and Sarah had prepared. They had kept things simple as always, having brought fried chicken and corn on the cob. Harry had put potatoes in to bake at the edge of the fire, and we rounded off the meal with s'mores - something Carlisle had never had before coming to the States, but had taken an intense liking to. I loved watching him as he meticulously roasted his marshmallows until just before they burned and then put his s'more together - the look on his face when he'd first bite into one always made me think of a little boy eating a rare treat.

I'd often tease him about it, and nine times out of ten, he'd retaliate by dipping his finger in the melting chocolate and smearing it on my chin or nose, or even on my lips. And always he gave a wicked little smile before leaning in and licking it off. I couldn't say I ever complained about that.
With a sigh, I put the frame back in its place and scooted up the bed so I was sitting against the headboard. I pulled my phone from my pocket, staring at it for a moment before flipping it open and typing out a quick text to Carlisle, telling him I loved and missed him. I knew that he'd be at work already, so I kept it short. There would be time to talk tomorrow. His answering text made me smile in spite of how I was feeling.

The smile didn't last long, though, as I looked back at the picture, my fingers automatically finding Carlisle as I wondered how things might have been, had I not been such an idiot all those years ago and just told my daughter when she was young.

Would she have reacted any differently? Or would she have hated me anyway? I wondered whether she would have been a part of that particular celebration - or any of the others we had over the years. It hurt my heart to think that it wouldn't have mattered. I crawled down, pulling the covers over me and staring at the picture until I finally fell asleep, still in my clothes.

The following morning, I woke up early. I had forgotten to set my alarm, but I'd always been an early riser anyway, and this time was no different. The first thing I did was check the messages on my phone - a habit after years of night shifts - and sure enough, Carlisle had sent me a text, wishing both Bella and me good luck today. I texted him back to let him know I was awake and to send him my love, wishing once again that he was just here, holding me.

The sound of the shower running alerted me to the fact that Bella was up already, too. I muttered under my breath, "Guess she takes after her old man in more ways than one."

With a sigh, I climbed out of bed, grabbed a change of clothes, and headed to the bathroom connected to our bedroom. I turned the shower on and, while it was getting to the right temperature, I stripped and then stepped under the cascading water, letting it relax my muscles.
I didn't linger, and I was dressed, shaved, and in the kitchen in the span of ten minutes. I had just put on water to make coffee when Bella walked into the kitchen. She went straight to the fridge without so much as a "Good morning." My jaw clenched, and I closed my eyes briefly before turning to her.

"Good morning, Bella. I'm making coffee; would you like some?"

I saw her eyes dart across the kitchen in confusion, and I had to actually work to stifle the chuckle that threatened to escape. We had no coffee maker, and I knew she would be wondering how I was able to brew coffee without one. Instead of saying anything, though, I simply reached into the cabinet above and to the right of the stove, pulling out the French press and coffee grinds.

Without waiting for her answer - figuring I wasn't going to get one, anyway - I put in enough coffee to make a whole pot. I looked up at her in surprise when I heard her clear her throat lightly, followed by a very low, "Yeah...thanks."

My own "No problem" came out a lot softer than I'd intended, but I couldn't get my voice to work right. Maybe things would work out, after all, if she was voluntarily speaking to me. She was blushing slightly, and she shifted her weight from foot to foot awkwardly for a moment before she abruptly turned around and left the kitchen.

Or maybe it was a fluke caused by a lack of caffeine...

I sighed and leaned forward, my hands resting on the counter as I hung my head.

God, how am I supposed to fix this?

While going through the motions of my usual morning routine, I soon found myself pouring coffee for two. I took mine black, but I had no idea how Bella took hers. I frowned down at the cup as if it could tell me the answer to such a simple, inane question.

Bella walked back into the kitchen, tossing her school bag on the floor next to the table before walking over to me. She shuffled her feet again, and I had a brief moment of just wanting to grab her by the shoulders to shake her - tell her to stop being so goddamn stubborn and beg her to let me make things right again.

Instead, I handed her the mug with a sigh, giving her a small smile as she whispered, "Thank you," and went to take a seat at the table. I noted that she took her coffee black, too, and I grinned to myself.

I cleared my throat, frowning when I realized that she hadn't eaten anything, nor did she seem inclined to do so as she simply sat there sipping her coffee.

"Bella?"

She looked up, her eyes questioning though she remained silent.

"Can I fix you anything to eat? I know I'm not the world's greatest cook, but I can manage toast and eggs..."

When she continued to stare at me, I sighed.

"You need to at least eat something, Bella. It's your first day at school; you need the fuel for..."
She interrupted with a soft, "Toast's fine."

Oh Christ, please tell me this isn't going to keep on like this...

I nodded and set about making some toast for us both. I took out some butter, jam, marmalade, peanut butter, honey, and lemon curd - a favorite of Carlisle's - and set them in the middle of the table. I had no idea what she might want, and I didn't want to push things much further - not with her having to go to school and dealing with all of that.

She watched me move around the kitchen in silence, and I found myself gritting my teeth to keep from saying words I was sure would be detrimental to what little there was left between us. I wanted to tell her to just grow up, because this silent treatment was ridiculous and childish - as were most of the things she had done over the last few days.

But I kept quiet, biting my tongue because I couldn't bear the thought of losing her completely. She was here, at least, and for me that meant there was a sliver of hope that things would get better. I prayed that they would.

I put the toast in the holder, and once there was enough for us both, I grabbed plates, a knife, and a couple of spoons and then set it all on the table as I took my seat opposite Bella. I kept my eyes on her as I buttered my toast lightly. She was biting her lip as she tried to figure out what to have, finally reaching for the jam - at the same time I was reaching for the marmalade, which was right next to it. Our hands bumped lightly, and she pulled hers back as if she had been shocked - I cringed, but said nothing as I took the jam and handed it to her. She muttered a quiet, "Thanks."

She didn't make eye contact all throughout breakfast, and I kept eating only because it was the one thing I felt I could do, though I'd long since lost my appetite. After she was finished, Bella got up and started to clear off the table, putting everything back where it was supposed to go - just like she had always done when she had stayed with me before.

After she was washed the few dishes we had used, she leaned against the counter, her hands resting on the edge as her fingers tapped nervously against the side. She still wasn't looking at me, and I thought I saw her open her mouth as if to say something, but nothing came out. Instead, she gave a soft huff and pushed herself away from the counter, picking her bag up off the floor. She glanced at me quickly, but as soon as her eyes met mine, she looked away with a blush creeping up her neck as she hurried to the door.

I called after her, "Good luck today, Bella." There was no answer, not that I'd expected any.

As soon as I heard her truck rumble to life, I got to my feet and tried to figure out what to do with myself. I had taken this whole week off in the hopes of spending time with my daughter, but that turned out to have been...well...useless. I wasn't due back at work until Monday, but I figured I might as well stop by and do some paperwork that I knew was waiting on me. I didn't particularly feel like going fishing again. I loved fishing, but even I grew tired of it when I knew I wasn't doing it to relax, but to escape.

Half an hour later, I walked into my office. Carmen greeted me in surprise, saying she wasn't expecting me back.

"It must be nice to have your little girl home again, Chief."

I felt my brow furrow and my cheeks heat up as I cleared my throat. "Yeah, must be...you know teenagers, though..."

I was praying she would leave it be because this was not something I was prepared to talk about. Thankfully, she just smiled and asked if I wanted her to make some coffee. I thanked her and walked into my office, shutting the door behind me with a sigh of relief. It felt good to be here. This, I knew - this was familiar. And here, I had something to do; I could feel useful.

As soon as I sat behind my desk, I booted up the computer to check my email, figuring that would be the best place to start. I checked my personal account, too, since I hadn't taken the time to do so at home. When I saw the short message from Esme wishing me luck, I had to swallow hard a few times before I was able to respond. She had become as important to me as she was to Carlisle, and I again felt that stab of disappointment - in myself - for never having given the same opportunity to Carlisle with regards to Bella. I vowed that - should they both let me - I would do all I could to correct that mistake.

After I was done catching up on emails, I began to sort through the regular mail and faxes that were waiting for me. I was so engrossed in these menial tasks that I lost all track of time, and I was startled when my cell phone rang.

I glanced at the clock, noting that it was already nearing ten o'clock as I shuffled papers around before locating my phone. I answered without checking the I.D., concerned that it might be the school calling. "Swan."

The weary sound of Carlisle's voice as he said, "Hello Charlie," made me simultaneously smile and worry. I leaned back in my chair as I ran my fingers through my hair, my eyes darting to the window.

"Carlisle...did you just get off shift?"

I heard him groan slightly, and I could imagine him stretching his arms over his head. "Mhmm, it's been a long day, love. How did things go this morning? Did Bella get off to school alright?"

This time, I groaned as I remembered how our morning had gone. I wasn't at all sure what to make of things. On the one hand, she had talked to me...sort of. It was certainly more communication than we'd had all week since the day she had gotten the truck. On the other hand, she had still acted as if I were a pariah or something. With a sigh, I told him what had happened since we had last spoken - I had long since resolved not to hold anything back from him, good or bad. After I was done, he was quiet for a moment - so quiet, in fact, that I started to wonder if the connection had dropped, or if he had fallen asleep on me.

"Sweets..?"

He sighed. "I'm here, love...I just...I wish there were something I could do. I'm so sorry, Charlie..."

I huffed, shaking my head even if he couldn't see it. "Don't, Carlisle. I did this to myself. I know that. I should have just done like you advised me and told her years ago."

I heard him sigh again. "Charlie, love...I need to see you. Come to the hotel and have lunch with me?"

I glanced around my office. Part of me wanted to finish what I had started, get the office cleaned up and get things ready. That was just how I was, how I had always been, when it came to my work. Another part of me, though, really needed to spend time with the man I loved, so I smiled as I said I would be there in fifteen minutes. We hung up after each saying, "I love you," and I quickly set about straightening the desk as well as I could before wishing Carmen a good weekend as I headed out the door.

Carlisle was waiting for me in the bar of the hotel again, sitting in a booth with his back to the wall, his head tilted back and his eyes closed. I took a moment to just look at him, a fond smile on my lips. I could see movement out of the corner of my eye, and I turned to find Garrett watching us with a grin on his face as he cleaned glasses.

I walked up to the bar and leaned against it, my own grin in place as I glanced over my shoulder at Carlisle, who still hadn't moved.

"Hey there, Garrett. Has he been behaving himself?"

Garrett chuckled, nodding. "You know it, Chief." He nodded toward Carlisle, lowering his voice a little. "He's beat, poor guy. Can I get you two a drink?"

I nodded, ordering a couple of beers, but when I started to pull out my wallet, Garrett shook his head, holding up his hand to stop me.

"On me, Chief."

I smiled, taking the beers from him. "Thanks, Garrett. I take it he hasn't ordered any food yet?"

When he shook his head again, I asked if he could place an order for a couple of BLTs and an order of french fries. As he went off to take care of it, I walked over to Carlisle, quietly placing the beers on the table. He still hadn't so much as twitched.

Placing my knee carefully on the bench, I leaned forward - bracing my hands on the table and the back of the seat - and kissed him tenderly on the lips. He gave a quiet hum of appreciation before opening his eyes to look at me, smiling softly as he ran the back of his fingers against my cheek.

"Hey... glad you're here."

He shifted to make room for me, and I sat down next to him as he pulled me in for a hug, nuzzling my neck lightly. I wrapped my arms around him as best I could, given the somewhat awkward positioning of being seated side by side in a booth. We sat like that for a minute or so, before my back started to protest too much, and I reluctantly let go of him.

Straightening back up, I took a moment to really look at Carlisle. He was a bit on the pale side, and the rings under his eyes from lack of sleep stood out starkly against his light palor. His hair was disheveled, looking as if he had run his fingers through it one too many times for it to cooperate any longer. He had taken off his tie and undone the top two buttons of his light blue button down. His shoulders were slumped, and I could tell he was having a hard time keeping his eyes open.

I cupped his cheek with my hand and sighed softly. "Rough shift?"

He nodded, saying they had been a few people short for various reasons - not the least of which had been one of the other doctors having slipped and injured himself, which resulted in him being sent home after his own trip to the ER. Not a lot really happened in our small town, but just like anywhere else, there was always a little Jimmy who had shoved a marble up his nose, or Billy the high school punk who had snuck into his parents' alcohol cabinet and gotten drunk to the point of alcohol poisoning, or a Margaret who had sliced up her hand while preparing dinner.

Garrett brought us our food as well as another beer on the house. After thanking him, I turned to Carlisle as he squeezed my leg and murmured, "Thanks, love."

I smiled as I covered his hand with mine. "You're welcome, sweets. Now eat; you need to get some sleep soon."

He nodded, and we both ate in relative quiet. Carlisle asked a few questions about Bella and how things were going, and I answered as best I could. I told him that the situation wasn't improving, and that I wasn't sure how much more I could take. I needed him home, needed his love and support with me, and I told him as much.

"Please, Carlisle, just come home with me?"

He shook his head sadly. "She just needs more time, love. At least let her get through her first days in school, without having to deal with the fact I'm there, too. Besides..." He stifled a yawn before continuing, "I'm so tired, I don't think I'd even make it as far as home before I passed out."

I placed my hand on the back of his neck, gently rubbing it as I sighed. He hummed, closing his eyes as he tilted his head forward a little to give me more room. "That feels good, love."

We sat like that for a few minutes, until he actually started to sway in his seat. I grabbed his shoulders and gave him a half-grin as I shook my head at him. "We need to get you to bed, sweets."

"Mmm, sounds good to me, love. Join me? I've missed you."

He didn't need to ask twice. I leaned in, kissing him briefly before whispering, "I've missed you, too. Let me go settle the tab, and then we'll go, okay?"

He nodded, smiling softly at me as I got up and walked over to the bar. After paying Garrett for the food - he again refused to let me pay for either round of beers - I went back to Carlisle. I stood in front of the booth and held my hand out to him. He gratefully took it, and I pulled him up, steadying him when he lost his balance. I chuckled softly, trying to hide my worry, but as always he saw right through me.

"I'm alright, love. Nothing a good night's sleep won't cure."

I knew he meant for his words to be comforting, but I felt the implication of his not having slept well the last few days - he never did when he couldn't sleep in his own bed. I slipped my arm around his waist, my eyes on the ground as we walked up to his room - I didn't want him to see the guilt I felt.

As soon as we got to his room, he walked over to the bed, sat on the edge of it, and flopped down with a groan, throwing an arm over his eyes. I locked the door before walking over to him, standing between his legs as I leaned forward, resting my palms on either side of him.

"Need some help?"

He lifted his arm to look at me and grinned, raising one eyebrow. "What kind of help did you have in mind, love?"

I chuckled, shaking my head lightly. Even as tired as he is...God, I love this man.

"Sorry, sweets, you need to get some sleep."

He huffed, muttering something that sounded like, "Sleep's overrated..." I knelt against the bed to steady myself as I began to unbutton his shirt. Carlisle just watched me, his eyes darkening a little the further down I went. I grinned and rolled my eyes at him.

Once his shirt was open, I slid my hands up his torso to his shoulders, causing him to moan softly. He lifted slightly to allow me to remove the shirt altogether before lowering back onto the bed. I tossed the shirt to the side - not really caring where it landed - and began to slip the end of his belt through the catch before pulling it out completely. I might have been teasing him just a little as I brushed my fingers against his hardening cock, and Carlisle bit his lip to keep from saying anything. We'd done this too many times for me not to know his signals, and I loved that I did.

Instead of working on his jeans, I leaned forward again, trailing open-mouthed kisses up from his abs, over his pecs, along his neck until finally moving down his jaw and ending on his lips, where he returned my kiss hungrily. He threaded his fingers in my hair, anchoring me to him with his tight grip even as his other hand went to my lower back and pulled me down against him. I moaned into his mouth as he shifted his hips just enough to brush his hard-on against my own. He pulled away just far enough to whisper against my lips, "Please, Charlie...it's been too long..."

I couldn't even speak, so I just gave a tight nod before attacking his lips again. I shifted slightly so I could rest my weight on my right arm, while my left hand trailed up and down his side. It felt so good to be close to him again; even if it had only been a few days, it had been a few days too long. I lifted off of him just enough to give myself room to fumble with the button of his jeans, refusing to cease kissing him as I worked to remove his jeans. Only when I had finally gotten his button undone and his zipper lowered did I move away from him. He lifted his hips as my hands went to his waistband, and I pulled off the offending material. I had to remove his shoes before being able to get his pants off, leaving him in just his briefs and socks.

Carlisle's voice was husky, his eyes hooded and dark as they roved my body. "You have far too many clothes on, Charlie."

I grinned at him as I took off the long sleeved t-shirt I had been wearing. I toed out of my shoes and socks, stripping out of my jeans before kneeling down in front of him and taking his socks off as well. I slowly trailed my hands up his legs, my eyes on his as he watched me closely, his breath quickening the closer I got to his crotch. I slid my fingers under his briefs, teasingly stroking along his length, delighting in the soft moan that elicited from him. I'd had enough of teasing, though, so I hooked my thumbs into his waistband and pulled his briefs off, tossing them aside before repeating the same action with my own, having to shift my weight awkwardly from one leg to the other so I wouldn't have to get up to do it.

My eyes trailed over his body, and I once again wondered how I had gotten so lucky to have Carlisle love me as much as he did - how he had stood by me all these years, even with everything I was sure I had put him through. I raised my head, meeting his gaze - my voice was gruff with emotion, with awe, with desire for this man. "God, I love you, Carlisle..."

He cupped my cheek with his hand, his thumb brushing my skin lightly as he smiled at me. "I love you too, Charlie...so much."

I turned my head so I could kiss his palm before leaning in and placing a soft kiss on the tip of his erection. I heard him whimper as my tongue traced his head before slipping it between my lips and sucking lightly, teasing his slit and tasting the pre-cum that was already coming forth. Releasing him, I licked and kissed my way down his shaft, lavishing attention on him as my fingers caressed his inner thighs and teased his sack.

He moaned, lifting himself up so he was half-seated, half-reclined. "Charlie..."

I didn't wait to hear what he had to say as I wrapped my lips around his cock and took him in as far as I could, earning a soft, "Fuck, Charlie!" when his tip brushed the back of my throat. He put his hand on my shoulder, urging me upward as he chanted softly for me to stop. I looked up at him in confusion until he sat up fully, taking hold of my other shoulder and pulling me up onto the bed with him before kissing me soundly.

"Please Charlie...I need-...you...I need to, too..."

It wasn't often he was so flustered - so worked up - that he couldn't get his words out like that, which was all the incentive I needed to comply. I nodded and shifted on the bed so I was facing the end of it. I patted the space next to me, indicating he should lie down on his side, facing the headboard.

He had barely gotten himself comfortable before I felt his tongue on my hard-on, and I moaned at the slick wetness, the warmth of his mouth as he mimicked my earlier actions. I didn't hesitate as I resumed my attention to him, taking him fully in my mouth once again at the same time as he did me. I felt my eyes roll back as he took me all the way and swallowed around my head. Fuck, that never gets old...

I concentrated on him as much as I was able - my tongue curling around his shaft, teasing his slit, my cheeks hollowing as I sucked hard and swallowed around him. My hands never ceased moving, either - nor did his. Fingers caressing soft flesh, tugging, squeezing, gently prodding. I couldn't contain my moans, and neither could he, sending the most delightful shivers along my spine even as my hips bucked, and his did in turn. Both of us were continually moving, teasing, bringing the other pleasure and seeking our own.

I knew I wouldn't be able to hold out for long, so I worked him hard, wanting him to come first. I could feel his thighs begin to tremble as he tried to hold back, so I took him as far as I could, relaxing my throat until my lips were at his base, swallowing several times while I gently pressed just behind his sack. His scream was muffled by my cock still buried in his mouth as he came into mine, and I swallowed every drop he gave me. His release had triggered my own when the vibrations of his scream shot through me, and I could feel him taking everything as well.

I let him slip from between my lips as he did the same, and I turned my body around so I could face him. He shifted, pulling the covers out from under him as I did the same before settling them over us. His arm was immediately over my waist, holding me close as he kissed me languidly. I slipped mine around his as well, relishing in the feel of his skin against my own. This was where I was meant to be, with this man, in his arms. If ever there had been any doubt in my mind, there certainly was none now. As long as he would have me, I was his - always and forever. Not even Bella's disapproval would shake that truth. She was my daughter and I loved her, but I neither could, nor would, deny my heart.

I sighed softly as I pulled away from the kiss, my eyes searching his as I whispered my plea again for him to come home.

He placed his hand just below my jaw, his fingers curling around my neck and playing idly with the hairs at my nape. "I want to be home, love, believe me. I just think Bella could do with more time, from everything you've told me...I don't want to make things any harder on her than they already are."

I closed my eyes and nodded. "I know, sweets; I do. It's just...I need you, Carlisle. I can't do this without you." I sighed. "And I want the two of you to get to know each other. I love you both, and I was a fool to let what happened, happen. You're both too important to me. I won't stand in the way of a relationship between you again - if she's even willing to..."

He cut me off with a searing kiss, holding me so tight it almost hurt, but I welcomed it. When he finally pulled away, he rested his forehead against mine and smiled, whispering, "Thank you, Charlie."

I snorted softly - I couldn't help it. "Don't thank me yet, sweets. You haven't seen her in action."

"I'm sure it won't be as bad as all that, Charlie."

I averted my eyes and muttered, "I wish I could be so sure of that..."

He shook me lightly to get my attention. "Charlie, I know this is hard for you, but this can't be easy on her, either. She's just uprooted her life, expecting to come and live with her single, straight father - only to find out that he is neither. Everything she has based her life on when it comes to you has to be shaken; how could it not? Just...give her some time, love. Let her get used to the idea."

I knew that what he said made sense, but he hadn't seen her - he hadn't felt the sting of her words in person. With a soft sigh, I pressed my lips to his forehead, changing the subject. "You should get some sleep, sweets. We can talk more later."

He was about to protest when he was overcome by a huge yawn. He rolled his eyes with a small grin as he nodded. "Stay for a while?"

"Of course."

I settled onto my back, pulling him with me so his head rested on my shoulder and wrapping my arms securely around him. He hummed softly as he nestled closer, throwing both his arm and leg over me before placing a soft kiss on my chest.

I pressed my lips to his hair, whispering, "Sleep now."

It wasn't long before I felt his breathing even out, and he was asleep. I lay there for a while, trying to quiet my mind and eventually succumbing to sleep as well.

I woke up a couple of hours later and glanced at the clock, groaning when I realized that Bella would be out of school soon. I wanted to be home in the hopes that maybe she would talk to me, but I felt reluctant to leave the comfort of Carlisle's presence. With a sigh, I carefully began to extract myself from his hold, as we hadn't moved much since falling asleep. When I moved his arm, though, Carlisle woke up just enough to lift his head and mumble, "What is it, love?" His eyes watched me blearily.

Pressing my lips to his forehead, I whispered for him to go back to sleep and to text me once he woke up. I told him I was going home, since Bella would be done soon, and he simply nodded, shifting slightly to give me a kiss and then moving so I could get up. I got out of bed and dressed quietly before walking over to the side he was sleeping on and kissing his temple. I murmured, "I love you," which he echoed along with a "good luck." He was out again before I had even reached the door.

I made it home a few minutes before school was supposed to be out, so I went to the kitchen and started up some milk to make hot chocolate for us before mixing up my mother's cocoa recipe. I had just poured the hot milk into two cups when I heard Bella's truck pull up and the door slam. The front door opened, and I held my breath as I stirred the drinks, listening to her footsteps as she walked down the hallway to her room, only to walk back to the kitchen seconds later. The smile on her face was the first I'd seen since she arrived on Sunday, and I felt hope flare in my chest as I gave her a smile of my own, asking how her day went. I held out a cup to her in offering, and the small stirring of hope I felt died a little as she paused with a frown, her teeth worrying her lower lip.

My smile faltered, and I started to turn away - in part to simply put the cup down on the counter, and in part to hide the hurt I felt that she was acting this way. Right as I set the cup down, I felt her hand wrap around it, her fingers grazing mine as she lifted it with a muttered, "Thanks..."

I turned to look at her, swallowing hard when I saw a tentative smile on her lips. My voice was gruff as I nodded. "You're welcome. I thought you might like something warm to drink. I know it's a little colder here than what you're used to."

She nodded, the frown back on her brow as she carefully sipped her drink. I chuckled as I saw her eyebrows shoot up in surprise, her eyes finding mine as she said, "Wow, this is really good, Charlie."

I tried to hide the disappointment and hurt I felt at her use of my first name as I reminded myself that she was at least talking to me. I took a small sip of my own cocoa before saying, "That's your Grandma Swan's recipe, if you can call it that. The one thing I know how to make well in this kitchen - aside from toast and coffee."

I winked at her, hiding my smile behind my cup when she chuckled at my statement. She leaned against the counter, holding onto the cup with both hands as she closed her eyes with something akin to contentment on her face. I kept watching her - hoping, praying, that Carlisle was right, and that maybe she was beginning to come around.

"I never did get to make it for you while you were here; it was never cold enough for hot cocoa during the summer."

And just like that, I could almost see the shutters close again as she stiffened up, a scowl appearing on her face as she squared her shoulders. She put her mug down - only half-finished with her drink - pushed herself away from the counter, and with a terse, "Thanks for the cocoa, Charlie," left for her room, banging her door closed behind her.

I put my own mug down and slammed the countertop with the flat of my hand, hissing, "God damn it!"

I stood, leaning against the counter with my hands placed flat on the surface, my shoulders hunched as my head hung in defeat. Every time she acted so harshly, so cold, it felt like getting my heart ripped to pieces, and I couldn't stand it anymore. This had only gone on for a week - less, even. How was I supposed to cope with it every day? Definitely not on my own. I pushed myself away and walked to our bedroom; even though I had just had a nap, I was drained beyond belief.

I laid down on the bed, grabbed Carlisle's pillow, and hugged it to me as I made my decision. Tomorrow - come hell or high water - Carlisle was moving back home. Having it be just Bella and me was obviously not working, and aside from the fact that I desperately needed my partner by my side, I refused to allow him to continue to be an outcast in his own home. I was done trying to hide anything from anybody. It was with this on my mind that I fell asleep, only to wake briefly when Carlisle sent me a text to let me know he was awake and heading in to work. I sent him a text back with my love, saying that we'd talk in the morning - I was back asleep almost instantly.

The following morning, I woke up with a headache that appeared to be trying to imitate a marching band - the price I paid for too much sleep and too little food, not to mention too few fluids. I repeated the same motions from the day before, only deviating long enough between getting out of my clothes and into the shower to take some Tylenol. I let the hot water relax the muscles of my neck and back for longer than I ordinarily did and was shocked out of the shower by a sudden blast of cold water before it returned to almost the same temperature as before.

Right. Guess that's something to get used to...

I turned off my shower, and sure enough, I heard the one in the other bathroom. Figuring I should probably make another attempt at conversation - or at least civility - with my daughter, I hurriedly got dressed. She was still in the shower as I started the coffee and toast, and I was setting the table when she walked into the kitchen. I chanced a glance in her direction, only to find her looking about as miserable as I felt. The thought that she might feel that way because of me made my stomach twist uncomfortably.

She sat down at the table without a word. In an effort to distract myself, I finished making the coffee and poured us both a cup, handing one to her as I placed my own in front of my seat. I honestly intended to talk to her, to ask her how she was doing, if she slept well...the words formed in my head but refused to exit through my mouth. The only thing I managed was a gruff, "Good morning, Bella."

Her eyes flitted to mine, only to shift away again - looking anywhere but at me as a small furrow marred her brow. I sighed, shaking my head as I went to grab the toast before taking my seat. Even though I hadn't eaten since lunch the day before, I found myself without any appetite. I put some marmalade on my toast and took a bite anyway, forcing myself to eat when all I wanted to was to leave the table and heave - my stomach was roiling from the stress.

The hoped-for conversation never happened as we both ate in silence. Bella's face seemed to become harder the longer we sat, but neither of us moved until it was time for her to leave. As she had the day before, she went about putting everything away and washing the few dishes that were used. She cast a quick look my way, cleared her throat, and walked out the door without a word.

I sat staring out the window long after she had left, not sure what to do to make any of this better. I huffed. At least this can't get a whole lot worse...

I cringed even as I thought it, knowing that it very well could get worse. She could walk out of my life forever - hate me, forever.

Just to give myself something to do so I hopefully wouldn't have my thoughts go in a never-ending loop, I collected all the laundry, leaving Bella's alone. I had never had to deal with...delicates before, and I didn't relish the idea of my first time doing so being with my daughter's things. Once I got a load started, I grabbed the vacuum and ran it in every bit of the house, this time including Bella's room - picking up bits of her phone that appeared to have scattered everywhere. Though I didn't really feel she deserved it, I made a mental note to buy her a new phone so she could at least be in contact with her friends.

After all the vacuuming was done and I had switched loads, I decided I might as well grab my laptop and see if I could find a replacement for Bella's phone. I took the laptop to my armchair, flipped the handle so the footrest popped up, and booted the computer up. After browsing for about half an hour, comparing models, prices, and various bells and whistles, I settled on an LG Chocolate. I figured it would be the most useful to her...and that she might appreciate the gesture as well as the pun.

Around noon, Carlisle called, saying that he was finally done for the day after a surprise meeting just after his shift was supposed to be finished. I asked him if he was okay to drive or if he needed me to pick him up, but he said he would be alright.

"Carlisle...come home. Please?"

"Are you sure, love?"

"I need you here, sweets, and I need to know you're getting your sleep, too. Just please...check out of the hotel and come here?"

He was quiet for too long before he sighed softly. "Alright, love. I'll be there as soon as I can. I love you."

I smiled for the first time that day as I told him I loved him, too. Not twenty minutes later, he pulled his car up next to mine, as he always did. As soon as I heard him, I walked over to the door and my heart felt lighter than it had all week when I saw him walk inside. He put his bag down and opened his arms as I stepped up to him, kissing him tenderly.

"Welcome home, sweets."

He smiled as he hugged me tight, nuzzling my neck as he murmured against my skin, "It feels good to be home again, love."

I pulled away so I could look at him, and when he lifted his head to meet my gaze, I reached my hands to his face - my thumbs brushing along the circles under his eyes as I kissed him briefly. "You should go lie down for a bit, baby. You look beat."

He hummed. "I am, to be honest. Wake me before Bella gets out? I'd like to meet her finally."

I nodded. "I will, promise."

He went to the bedroom after one final kiss, and I spent the next couple of hours doing the rest of the laundry...and thinking - remembering every interaction with Bella, every reaction she'd had to anything, worrying how things would go once she finally got to meet the love of my life. This part was what had me most concerned. It was one thing for her to react to me the way she had because I was gay, but it was quite another for her to react poorly to Carlisle for it. I knew full well that we had both had worse reactions from people about our orientation, but this was my daughter.

I was sitting at the kitchen table, drinking coffee when I heard Carlisle come out of our room. I glanced at the clock and shook my head when I saw that Bella would likely be home within half an hour.

Should've known he wouldn't actually need me to wake him up. That man's internal clock is better than anything you can buy in a store.

I got up to get him a cup of coffee as well, handing it to him with a kiss as soon as he was within reach. "I was going to wake you in about five minutes."

He ran his fingers through my hair before cupping my jaw, smiling at me. "I know, love. Thank you."

I nodded, taking his hand in mine and leading him back to the table. We sat down and just enjoyed our coffee for a moment - as well as being together again. For the first time that week, I felt a semblance of peace while I was at home. I took his hand in mine, squeezing it lightly, needing the contact. When we both finished our drinks, Carlisle took our cups to the sink and rinsed them. My eyes found the clock again, and I groaned softly. I was not looking forward to what was coming. I propped my elbows onto the table and hid my face in my hands, muttering - praying - under my breath for everything to please, please go well.

I felt his arms slip around my neck as he leaned down, pressing his lips against the crown of my head. With a heavy sigh, I lowered my hands, placing one of them on his wrist as I tilted my head to rest against his upper arm. My voice barely made it to a whisper when I spoke, "I'm scared Carlisle."

"Shh, love, it'll be okay."

He rested his chin on my head as he held me tight, lending me his strength as he always had.

"What if she..?"

He didn't let me finish, squeezing me gently as he said, "Don't, Charlie. Whatever happens, we'll deal with it, but don't go inviting trouble where there needn't be any."

He was right, of course, but that didn't stop my mind from going over all the possible scenarios. Carlisle continued to stand behind me, holding me as he murmured soft words of love and encouragement - none of which penetrated my brain as my mind raced.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't hear Bella's truck drive up, nor did I hear her come in. The sound of her "Oh!" followed by her bookbag being dropped to the floor jolted me out of my reverie. Carlisle slowly straightened up, letting his hands linger in their contact with me as he did. I wanted to look, needed to see her reaction, but I couldn't move except to close my eyes as I waited for the bomb to explode.

I heard him move toward her as he said, "Hello, Bella, I'm Carlisle. It's a pleasure to meet you."

His voice was friendly, that familiar British cadence soothing me even as my nerves seemed to stand on end. Get ahold of yourself, man! I took a shuddering breath as I tried to steady myself. I opened my eyes, turning in my seat to face Bella...and I cringed at the hostility I saw in her eyes. Oh, God...

Her posture was rigid, her eyes darting between Carlisle and me as she opened and closed her mouth a few times, seemingly unable to say anything. Guess that beats having her blow her fuse...

Carlisle had stopped walking toward her and stood halfway between me and my daughter as if unsure what to do next. I saw his hands twitch, and I knew that he was aching to comfort her - to soothe her nerves, her pain - in spite of the obvious animosity coming from her.

Bella blinked hard several times, shaking her head before finally stuttering, "I...You...I..."

She growled, turned on her heel, and all but ran to her room, the door closing with such force that we could hear it bang right back open again before being slammed shut. The next sound to follow was that of music blaring from her room, and I thought I heard her scream.

"Oh, God..."

I didn't realize I had spoken aloud, if one could even call the sound coming from me 'loud', as all I managed was a croaked whisper. My elbow on the table again, I raised my hand to my eyes, covering them as I whispered, "Carlisle, I'm so sorry..."

I felt him kneel in front of me as he pulled my hand from my eyes - the sadness I saw in his cut me deep, and I hurt for him more than I did for myself. I blamed myself for all of it, for hurting Bella, for hurting him all those years, and now this - when I knew all he wanted was to just be able to love her, too. Or rather, to show her that he loved her, as I knew he already did.

He took my face in both hands and pressed his lips insistently to mine before resting his forehead against my own.

"It's okay, love...It'll be okay..."

I could hear in the tone of his voice, in how it broke just the tiniest bit, that her behavior had hurt him more than he was letting on. I placed my palm on his cheek as I clenched my jaw. Watching the pain in his eyes, and hearing how he was trying to shield me from that - it caused the first flarings of anger to stir in my chest. I knew she was hurting - understood it, even - but how dare she treat Carlisle this way? He had never done anything to hurt her - he had tried to help her, guide her, love her - so where did she get off hurting this sweet soul?

"How can you say that, Carlisle? You saw her yourself. How can you say it'll all be okay?"

He tried to reassure me that he was fine and that Bella would come around - that it was just a shock to suddenly be faced with the fact over the idea - but it didn't matter anymore. It was done. Nothing I could do could take it back, and that thought killed me. Finally, he sighed as he looked me in the eye.

"Love, do you really think it's for the best that I stay here? Maybe..."

I scowled, shaking my head, my voice harsher than I meant it to be as I tried to rein in the anger I felt licking at my insides. "No! I'm done, Carlisle. I'm done hiding anything from anyone, especially my daughter. This is your home, too, and I will not let her or anyone run you from it ever again."

"But..."

"No, I mean it. Bella had better get used to having you around if she's going to live here. If she hates me because I'm gay, there's not shit I can do about it. It's just who I am, Carlisle. And I don't want to be anyone else - I don't want to pretend to be someone I'm just not, anymore."

I sighed deeply, feeling myself deflate as my emotions drained what energy I had. Carlisle wrapped his arms around my waist, holding me close to him as he placed a soft kiss right below my ear, whispering, "Alright, love."

Slipping my arms around his shoulders, I hugged him tight as I murmured, "I love you, sweets. So much."

I felt his smile against my skin as he said, "I love you, too, Charlie."

As he pulled away, I heard Bella's door close more quietly than before, though her music was still blaring.

Must be going to the bathroom.

I sighed again and frowned at the table top, the quiet peace that Carlisle seemed to lend me fading away as he went to start dinner. I listened to the soft thump of the cabinet doors closing; the rattle of pots and pans sounded subdued compared to the noise coming from Bella's room. I kept waiting for her to go back there, but I never heard her door open again, so I figured I must've just missed it somehow.

When I glanced up, Carlisle's brow was beaded with sweat as he peeled potatoes next to a pot of boiling water, and there were several other pans simmering on the stove. I didn't know how long I'd been sitting there, lost in my own world, but the sight made me frown. I stood and walked over to him, making sure he heard me before I slipped my arms around his waist from behind and rested my forehead against his shoulder.

"Sorry, baby..." I murmured, lifting my head to place a soft kiss at the nape of his neck. "I didn't mean for you to do all this alone."

I could hear the smile in his voice as he whispered, "It's alright. You've a lot on your mind."

I nodded, feeling the enormity of his words before I pressed my lips against the pulse point beneath his ear. "Let me do that."

"Gladly." His wry voice made me grin. He hated peeling potatoes with a passion, but he did it because he knew I loved his mashed potatoes...just like the chicken that was frying in the skillet. He'd made it for me just a few days ago before he'd gone to the hotel, but he knew it was my favorite - so he was making it again.

The care he was taking with me despite the fact that this whole mess of a situation was my fault put a lump in my throat. I could tell he was trying to lighten the mood, though, so I played along, making a production of taking the knife from him before I bumped him out of the way with my hip. He laughed and went to the sink to wash his hands.

"So what was the meeting about?" I asked to change the subject to something a little safer.

"Oh, they're looking to add another doctor to the rotation. One of the candidates was there today, so they wanted all of us who were around to meet her..."

"Yeah?"

We fell into our comfortable rhythm as we worked together, talking about Carlisle's day and exchanging a kiss here and there. It felt...normal. It felt right. And it only strengthened my resolve that he belonged here, at home, with me.

When dinner was close to being ready, I looked at the clock and saw that it was already 5:45. I had been leaning against the counter as we chatted, and I pushed away, washing my hands one last time. Carlisle's eyes were focused on the pan as he turned the chicken, and I reached out, carefully taking his chin and turning his face to mine. "I'm going to go tell Bella dinner's almost ready."

He swallowed carefully, but then he nodded and flashed me a brief, timid smile. I traced his lower lip with my thumb, wanting once again to tell him how goddamn sorry I was and how I wished I could take it all back, but the words were pointless. He knew, and he understood, and for some unfathomable reason, he didn't hate me for it. He loved me, just as I loved him. "Be right back," was all I said in the end.

I kissed him and then walked away, heading down the hall. When I got to Bella's room, I realized she was listening to Pink Floyd's "Run Like Hell," and I stood there for a minute, wondering when she'd switched from that terrible pop shit to classic rock.

I shook my head at myself, seeing my delay tactic for what it was. I squared my shoulders and reached out, knocking on the door with my fist.

Her music turned down almost at once, but I didn't hear any footsteps moving toward the door. I gave her a minute, and when she didn't answer, I knocked again. This time, the door was yanked open at once, and my eyes stared up at me out of her angry, stubborn face.

I was through trying to be nice, through tiptoeing around her.

"It's five forty-five," I said, my voice harder than I'd intended. I realized at once that I was pissed - not so much for myself, but for Carlisle. "Dinner's at six."

She just stared at me, not saying a word.

"You will be there, and you will be civil. Be upset with me all you want, but Carlisle has never done anything to you except love you and want to meet you, and you will be nice to him."

As I was speaking, her eyes flashed, and she stood up straighter. She lifted her chin, and her lips parted to say something - probably something that would've set me off in my current mood - but I didn't give her a chance.

"You have fifteen minutes. I expect you to be at the table on time." She gaped at me as I pulled the doorknob out of her hand and closed the door before turning on my heel and heading back to the kitchen.



6 comments:

  1. I am so glad that Charlie is finally putting his foot down and letting Bella know that she is going to respect Carlisle. Yes I understood Bella being upset last chapter, but she now I think she is just being obstinate. The small smiles and little snippets of conversation felt like she wanted to forgive and move on, but she was just being stubborn. The hurt in Carlisle's eyes at her rejection of him broke Charlie's heart and I am glad that it made him take action. I am sure there will still be tough times ahead and Bella is not going to just flip a switch and start letting both of them in, but Charlie is on the right track now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IDK what to even say... I can see both Bella's and Charlie's pov. I hope they can mend their relationship though I know it will take time. I can't wait to see how dinner goes... I am also curious as to how Bella's first couple days of school were and if she met Edward or not... I was excited to see an update! I've missed this story and these characters! Though I would say that even if you updated every day. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm feel so sad for Carlisle, and I am so glad that Charlie convinced him to come home. Bella's going to have it rough trying to navigate all these new changes in her life at the same time, and I hope she finds a confidante soon.

    This chapter seemed the same as what was posted on Fanfiction.net - or did I miss the changes?

    ~mwah~
    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The main problem here is that they are both so stubborn, and still haven't sat down to talk this whole thing out.

    Bella is angry because her father and mother lied to her all these years, and she felt like she was the last to know. Charlie is angry because he things his daughter hates him for being gay when that isn't even the case. With ONE real fucking conversation this would be cleared up...but no! Alas they are both too silly to just talk.

    Gotta love those stubborn Swan's.

    Anyhoo, loved the sexy, romantic times between Carlisle and Charlie, so sweet. And why might I ask was Bella so happy after her first day of school? could it be a nice new boy she met? hmmmmm? LOL

    I love this story I love C&C and I love you guys *sigh* I feel so bad for them all *huggles to C&C, and Bella *

    xoxo, Jezzy

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh poor Carlisle =( it really upset me that she was so mean to him! although i kind of figured she would be, at least at first. i hope everything starts to turn around soon! and i'd really love to hear about bella's first days at school in the next chapter!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this story so far :)

    I feel bad for Carlisle being stuck in the middle of this but at the same time Charlie has gotta stop making Bella walk into these things blindly lol. How hard would it have been to say before she left that Carlisle might be there when she got home? He knows now that not talking got him into this mess but never learned from it.

    Looking forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete