Sunday, March 28, 2010

Be Careful What You Wish For Drabbles - Esme POV

A/N: These drabbles were written by SorceressCirce for PerfectlyPersuasive's birthday (Happy birthday, bb!). They are from Esme's POV and include some background on Alice. She will be figuring into the story, so we hope you enjoy learning a bit about her.

Special thanks to naelany for providing the prompts and beta'ing!
----------
Esme POV

Christmas

"Thanks, Esme." Charlie's gruff voice is softer than usual, and there's a blush on his cheeks when he sits back with Carlisle's arm around his shoulders.

They have been here a few days now, and it's warmed my heart to see my brother so happy. He's brought men home before, but it has never been like this. He belongs in Charlie's arms.

"You're welcome, Charlie," I answer, smiling as I reach over to hand out the next package wrapped in silver. "Here you are, Mum."

I can't help the pang of loneliness I feel as I watch them.

"Happy Christmas."

----------

Trust

Alice's giggle is nearly startling, so foreign is the sound coming from the little dark-haired girl with the haunted eyes that I met nearly six months ago. She is the eighth child that I've fostered, but she is the first to burrow her way so deeply into my heart that I never want her to leave.

I laugh with her, taking her hands as I spin her around the kitchen to the sound of "Johnny B. Goode" coming from the radio tuned to the oldies station.

The timer dings.

"They're done!" she squeals, skipping to the oven for the cookies.

----------

Reading

I put away the last of the dishes and serve up the pound cake, arranging the three little plates around the coffee. I take a deep breath, closing my eyes to steel myself before I pick up the tray and walk to my living room.

Mother has brought her knitting and sits in the armchair, her ankles crossed as she works. Father is reading the newspaper by the light of the lamp on the end table.

I place the tray on the coffee table, clearing my throat. "Dad? Mum? I've decided to adopt Alice."

Astonished eyes look up at me.

----------

Family

I brush Alice's hair - still damp from her bath - from her forehead and smile down at her. She grins and reaches up, pulling me in for a fierce hug. I kiss her cheek and pull away, taking her hand.

"Alice, sweetheart, I've something to ask you. I need you to think carefully and answer honestly. Will you do that?"

Sensing my mood, she nods, frowning with concern.

"I love you, Alice, and I want you to stay here always. I want to adopt you. Would you want me for your mum?"

She swallows. Her eyes glisten. "You want me?"

"Forever."

----------

Phone

Alice's chattering voice lifts my spirits. For nine years, she's been in my life, and these last two weeks without her seemed empty. Dull.

Her voice rises and falls, and I peek into her bedroom, seeing her grinning face as she lies on the bed on her stomach, her feet in the air and her cell phone to her ear.

She insisted on calling Carlisle as soon as we got home from the airport to let him know she made it back okay.

"I'm gonna go hang out with Mum." I smile. "Tell Uncle Charlie I said hi! Edward, too!"

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really enjoying this story, can't wait for more xx

    ReplyDelete