Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Upholding Tradition

A/N: Happy Birthday, NelsonSmandela. We hope you have a great day, and that you enjoy a little peek in Edward and Bella’s lives..

As ever, we do not own Twilight.


ooOoo


Chill

I smile at the sound of Bella humming a Christmas carol under her breath. Tugging my collar back up to keep the wind at bay, I grin as I start singing along.

She shivers lightly, so I pull her closer.

“Are you sure you’re alright, love?”

She nods. “I’m fine. I wouldn’t miss out on this for anything.”

Kissing the top of her head, I murmur, “I love you.”

She squeezes my side. “I love you, too. Now, come on. We have a date to keep.”

We pick up the pace and start singing, “White Christmas.”

It’s tradition, after all.

Tradition

We turn onto the broad walkway through the park, and my smile widens at Bella’s soft gasp. It’s just as I remember it: countless lights wrapped around bare tree limbs, street lamps providing a brilliant glow that illuminates the benches lining the cobblestone path.

Perfection.

Just like my Bella.

As if she hears my thoughts, she looks up at me with narrowed eyes and pinches my ribs. When I grunt and twist away, she grins broadly. Her expression softens as she turns her attention back to our surroundings.

“It’s just like I remember it…” she muses, making me chuckle quietly.


Savor

When we finally reach our destination, I glance down at her, grinning as I see the same initial hesitation in her eyes as she had the first - and every other - time we were here.

Squaring her shoulders, she leads the way and puts on her skates without a word.

I follow suit.


Before she steps foot on the ice, though, I wrap my arms around her and kiss her languidly.

This is where we had our first date.

Where I proposed to her years later.

Where we spent our honeymoon.

Where we’re celebrating our first anniversary.

“I love you, Bella.”


Playful

She smiles up at me as she whispers her love in return. Then a mischievous glint shines in her eyes as she says, “C’mon.”

She drops my hand, stepping onto the ice and attempting to glide away. It doesn’t work, of course. Her toe pick catches on the ice, and she stumbles forward a few steps before flinging her arms wide and catching her balance.

When she’s sure she’s safe, she throws a triumphant smile over her shoulder, and I can’t help but laugh. She wrinkles her nose at me and beckons me forward.

Of course I go to her.


Glide

It's almost unfair how effortless it is for me to make it to her, but I suppose that's what you get after years of hanging out at skating rinks. I try not to grin too much as I come to a much more graceful stop.

The look on Bella's face almost makes it impossible not to, though.

Her eyes narrow. I laugh again as she pushes hard against my chest.

“Meanie!” She huffs, sticking her tongue out.

Moving beside her, I wrap my arms around her, kissing the top of her head. “Sorry, love. Couldn't help it. You're too cute.”


Warm

We’re two of the few people actually out on the ice. Most everyone else had sense enough to stay inside, huddled against the impending storm. The wind is frigid, biting through scarves and gloves, and it’s not long before Bella’s teeth begin to chatter.

“I’m fine!” she protests when I try to lead her off the ice. When I hesitate, she turns those wide, brown eyes up at me. “Please? Just a little longer?”

I sigh, torn between giving her what she wants and the warmth she needs. Luckily, my decision is made for me when sleet begins to fall.


Chocolate

Bella pouts, glaring up at the sky before sighing in defeat.

We hurry to the small diner where we always stop for what has become our accustomed treat: hot chocolate with soft serve ice cream and a piece of warm apple pie topped with the same.

Bella's practically bouncing in her seat as the waitress puts everything on the table. She closes her eyes as she takes a sip of cocoa.

I chuckle, shaking my head at the endearingly familiar way she looks up – with soft serve smeared on the tip of her nose.

Leaning over, I wipe it away.


Blush

Our visit to the diner is shorter than usual. We keep one eye on the weather, and when it seems to take a turn for the worse, Bella is the one to say, “Wanna get out of here?”

The corner of my mouth curves into a smile, and she laughs. “I know where your mind is,” she accuses, but her eyes drift down, roaming over my chest even as she blushes.

It’s that blush that always does me in. It caught me the first day I saw her in World History my sophomore year, and it never let me go.


Tender

The walk back to our hotel isn't as leisurely as when we headed out, but neither of us cares. Still, despite our best efforts to hurry, we end up dripping wet in the lobby.

We're both laughing as we stumble into the elevator. I pull her to me, intent on kissing her, but Bella reaches up to brush my sodden hair out of my face. She cups my cheek with a smile that still makes my heart beat faster.

“Bella,” I whisper as I softly catch her lips.

Her arms wrap around my waist while mine wind around her shoulders.


Belong

The door to our suite clicks shut as Bella’s fingers tangle in my hair. I can feel the chill from her cheeks, and I murmur, “Let’s get you out of these wet clothes.”

Her laugh is low and throaty as she whispers, “Yours are all wet, too.”

“Are they? Shame…”

She steps back, biting her bottom lip as she peers up through her lashes.

“You’re beautiful,” I breathe. This time her blush is tempered with the confidence I adore.

No more words are exchanged as we reach out, our bodies and minds becoming one – as we are meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment