Thursday, July 28, 2011

Shooting the Breeze


A/N: Happy Birthday, SarahAH30! We hope you have a fantastic day.
As ever, we do not own Twilight - it owns us.
ooOoo

Smile

“Banzai!”

I laugh as I watch Emmett take a running leap off the dock and into the middle of the lake. Water sprays everywhere, even reaching me on the shore – quite impressive, really.

But then, that's my Emmett for you. He does nothing, unless he can do it well.

Smiling, my eyes follow him as he resurfaces and swims a couple of laps before pausing to wave at me. “C'mon, babe! Water's great; come join me!” he calls out.

“I will in a little bit, I promise. Just let me finish this, okay?” I answer, holding up my half-finished sketch.


Draw

I listen to him splashing and laughing as I work on my shading. Just a touch at the base of his spine gives me the depth I was looking for, and I hold the sketchpad in front of me, scrutinizing my work.

With a chuckle, I add a title and date.

Emmett’s cannonball, 7-28-11

My man is the only thirty-four-year-old I know that finds pure joy in playing in the water – and in most of life. I suddenly crave his infectious enthusiasm.

Carefully stowing the drawing in my bag, I pad down the dock and wait for him to surface.


Prone

When his head breaks the surface of the water, I wave, calling, “Emmett!”

He grins widely and makes for the dock. The mischief in his eyes tells me I'd better be prepared for anything, so I lie down. I just know that if I'm standing or kneeling, I'll end up getting pulled into the water.

His pout as he pulls himself up for a kiss tells me I was correct in thinking he'd planned to do something.

Emmett's pout doesn't last long, however. It never does, with him. He's too happy of a guy to let anything keep him down.


Excitement

I jump as his wet hand, cold from his swim, cups my cheek. He just laughs, his brown eyes sparkling. “Come here,” he murmurs.

Smiling, I let my eyes drift closed as I lean in to kiss him. His hand slides up until his fingers tangle in my hair.

When we part, his eyes are mischievous again. “Don’t make me throw your ass in here,” he teases.

“Okay, okay… I’m coming!”

He nearly giggles as I stand up and take a few steps back. I hear him – predictably – mutter, “You will be,” just before I launch myself into the air.


Play

I barely get the chance to come up for air before Emmett pounces, dunking me under water again and then swimming away just as quickly. For a guy his size, he's pretty damn quick, too, but I'm faster.

We horse around in the water for a while, Emmett eventually retrieving our ball so we can practice shooting and just have fun.

It feels good to unwind for a while, and when it's time for dinner, I'm pleasantly exhausted. We cook a simple meal over the fire.

Emmett leans in, murmuring, “Thanks for this, Jazz. Love you.”

“Love you, too, Em.”

No comments:

Post a Comment