Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Day of Note



A/N: Happy Birthday, Bananapancakes7! We hope you have an awesome day.

As ever, we do not own Twilight - it owns us.

ooOoo

Start

Unlocking my car door, I frown at a folded piece of paper in my seat. I toss my backpack into the back and grab the paper, unfolding it to find an unfamiliar handwriting. All my questions are answered as I read the message, growing both angry at myself and grateful for this mysterious stranger who turned off my lights and locked my door – both of which I’d apparently failed to do.

I can’t help but smile as I read the final line.

Hope it brightens your day to know that the whole world isn’t full of dishonest people.
Cheers,
Jasper


Distraction

Jasper?

As I drive to class, I keep trying to think of who he is. It isn't until I'm parking my car that it hits me. The new guy in 3C!

I remember Alice and Bella fawning over him a few days ago. I bite my lip as I recall the one glimpse I'd seen of him myself, and I have to admit I can't fault them for it.

Over the course of the next few hours, my mind keeps coming back to Jasper, and by the time my last class ends, I'm determined to do something to thank him.


Gift

When I arrive back at my apartment building with a gift card to my favorite restaurant in my pocket, I’m suddenly nervous that maybe it wasn’t such a good idea. It was the only thing I could think of, though, and I really hope Jasper will appreciate it.

Licking my lips, I climb the steps to the third floor and take a deep breath before I knock on his door.

It opens before I’m ready, and I’m faced with wavy blond hair framing a face even more gorgeous than I remember.

“Oh,” I say stupidly.

“Well, hey there,” he answers.


Explanation

Blushing, I run my fingers through my hair as I stammer, “Umm, hi, sorry... I just... Thank you.”

Jasper blinks in confusion, tilting his head questioningly. “For what?”

Fishing the card out of my back pocket, I hold it out to him, inwardly cringing at the Happy Birthday! stamped across it. “For locking my car and turning the lights off.”

“That was yours?”

I nod, shoving my hands in my pockets.

Jasper's eyes give me a once over as his grin widens. “I didn't know that. You're welcome. You didn't need to...” He taps the card.

I shrug. “Wanted to.”


Writing

At that, he glances down at the card in his hand. He chuckles, and I feel my cheeks heating again.

“Yeah, sorry. They didn’t have any that said, ‘Thank you for not robbing me blind when you turned off my lights and locked my car.’”

When he laughs outright, he meets my gaze, and I feel my eyes widen in response.

God damn, he’s beautiful.

“It’s to my favorite restaurant,” I blurt, and wince internally. “Hopefully you’ll like it.”

“I’m sure I will,” he murmurs, his eyes alight with mischief. “Of course, you’ll have to show me where it is.”


Clarify

Automatically I half-turn as if to point in the right direction. “Oh, it's over on Main, right by-”

“No,” he touches my arm and continues, “I didn't say 'tell me', I said you'd have to show me. You free tonight?”

Blushing lightly, I dumbly say, “Oh...” and want to smack myself. “Oh, yes. Sure, Jasper, I mean, if you want...”

Jasper's grin is still in place, but he narrows his eyes a little in speculation, tilting his head again. “You have me at a disadvantage, I think. You know my name...”

My cheeks flame. “Shit, sorry. Edward. My name's Edward.”


Pleased

“Edward,” Jasper says, giving a small nod. “I like it.”

I can’t stop my smile any more than I can tear my eyes from his.

“Alright, Edward… so it’s a date? I’d say I’d pick you up at seven, but I don’t know where you live.”

In a slight haze of disbelief, I give him my apartment number. It gradually becomes clear that no matter how much Alice and Bella might wish otherwise, I’m much more Jasper’s type. As my nerves begin to fade, our conversation becomes easier, and we talk for long minutes with Jasper leaning against the doorframe.


Anticipation

We stand there talking until Jasper's phone rings. He glances over his shoulder, looking like he doesn't want to say goodbye – even though we'll be seeing each other in a few hours.

Turning back to me, he smiles. “Guess I'd better get that.”

Rubbing the back of my neck, I nod.

“See you later?” he asks.

I nod again.

He leans in, pecks my cheek, and whispers, “Good. I'm looking forward to it.”

I stand there feeling dazed as he disappears inside before I turn and head back to my apartment to get ready with a smile on my lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment