Sunday, August 14, 2011

Happily Ever After


A/N: Happy Birthday, Tellingmelies! We hope you have a wonderful day.
As ever, we do not own Twilight - it owns us.
ooOoo

Proxy
“Oh Ed, this is perfect!” Bella squeals, clapping her hand over her mouth as she studies the decrepit old house that'd look more at home in a Grimm’s fairy tale than here in Washington.
Alice grins knowingly at me. I narrow my eyes at her.
Sneaky minx. I should never have asked her to house-hunt for us.
Alice raises a challenging eyebrow as Bella enters the house to see inside. I want to caution her, worried the roof might fall down or an evil witch jump out from the rafters or some shit.
Alice grabs my arm, shaking her head.

Promise
Alice pulls me down to her level to hiss in my ear, "Don't you dare, Ed. I know what you're thinking, but you promised Bella she could pick any place, anywhere for sticking with you during your time overseas. You know how much of a homebody she is. She deserves this."
"But, Alice..."
She interrupts me. "But nothing, Edward. The place isn't as bad as it looks. Emmett and Jasper have already started working on it. Plus Mom's got everything planned out for decorating it. There won’t be much left to do by the time you're ready to move in."

Admonish
I sigh, running my fingers through my hair and glancing at the window. Bella walks by and shoots me a beaming smile that I barely manage to return.
Alice smacks my arm, glaring at me. “Don't you dare spoil this for her. I'm warning you, brother dearest.”
Rubbing my arm, I frown down at her. “Okay, okay...”
Alice narrows her eyes at me. “This house'll be perfect when it's finished, Edward. Promise. Bella'll have her creative space. She's been cooped up in cities and apartments for the past five years, Edward. Give her the chance to flow freely, for once.”

Capitulate
Glancing over at my wife again, I sigh, knowing my sister is right. As usual. Bella does deserve a home where she can do what she loves to do – a place that will inspire her work, both her writing and her painting. Looking around the area, I grudgingly admit that this place certainly would do that for her.
Bearing that in mind, I take a deep breath and nod. “You're right, Ali. Suppose you'd better show us around.”
Giving her a half-smile, I indicate for her to lead the way. I almost miss her triumphant look as she heads inside.

Envision
My arm’s around Bella as Alice gives the grand tour, explaining how things will look by the time they're done with the place.
Looking down at Bella, I smile as I take in her obvious excitement. She's practically vibrating by the time Alice shows us where Bella's studio will be. Right now it consists of a knocked-out back wall and a wooden skeleton covered by a tarp.
Listening to my sister, I can actually see everything take shape in my mind's eye.
Bella steps away to inspect a few things.
“Alice?” I whisper. “Thank you for doing all of this.”

History
Alice wraps an arm around me, grinning from ear to ear. “You're welcome. Anything for Bella, you know that. Though I'm not so sure you deserve all of this – or Bella, for that matter,” she teases.

I chuckle. Alice and Bella were friends long before Bella even knew I existed – or I her, for that matter. We were worlds apart back in high school, but eventually things changed. Once we found each other, we’d become inseparable, much to my sister's dismay at the time.
“Love you, too, Alice,” I murmur as I muss her hair up, earning me another glare.

Internet
Some of Bella's excitement begins to rub off on me, but I still have one concern – not a small one, considering my work's heavily dependent on it.
“Alice?” I whisper.
Her eyes are glued on Bella, who's pouring over the plans for the renovation. “Hmm?”
“Tell me… does the internet reach all the way out to Hansel and Gretel's house?”
Alice blinks up at me in confusion until my words register, then she smacks my chest – hard. “Oh, you!” she huffs. “Yes, Edward, they're supposed to be here in about a week to install your precious internet; don't you worry.”

Covered
“You really think I would've forgotten about that?” She huffs in indignation, crossing her arms over her chest.
“Sorry, Ali. It's just... so remote... and my work...”
Sighing, I run my fingers through my hair again, my eyes darting around the place before settling back on Alice.
She rolls her eyes, grumbling, “I've got your back, Ed. Always have, always will – you should know that by now.”
Hugging her, I mutter an apology. I do know that, and I really should've known better than to think she'd forget the requirements we’d given her when we first asked for her help.

Forever
Bella calls us over to talk about the plans. I mostly listen as they plot, content to leave them to it. They know my needs, and I know they'll keep them in mind as they design Bella’s dream home.
At one point, Bella frowns, her fingers trailing over the kitchen drawings.
“What's the matter, sweetheart?” I ask, rubbing her shoulders.
She looks up at me, worried. “This is gonna be so expensive, Edward. I'm not sure I-”
I shake my head. “I don't care, love. This'll be our forever home. I want you to love it. We'll figure it out.”

Surprise
Alice's phone rings. She steps away to answer, talking quietly. When she hangs up, she turns to us, beaming. “That was Mom. She just called to-”
She stops abruptly, wide-eyed, gasping as she clamps a hand over her mouth. Bella and I both stare at her.
“Oops. Never mind. It's supposed to be a surprise, so let's keep it that way, okay? Anyway! She says to, and I quote, 'get your butts in gear or dinner'll be spoiled!'”
Alice giggles.
As we lock the door, Bella kisses my cheek. “Thanks, Edward. For everything.”
I smile. “Anything for you, my Bella.”

No comments:

Post a Comment