Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Cullen Thanksgiving Tradition



A/N: This was our entry for the Twilight No Stress Love Fest; Holiday Edition. We hope you'll enjoy reading this as much as we did writing it.

This was our prompt:

ooOoo





Dinner


"Carlisle, would you grab the pumpkin and pecan pies? Bella, sweetheart, if you'd take the milk and sugar. Edward, dear..."


Everyone pitches in as always. Emmett, Rose, and Jasper take out the dirty dishes and leftover food, while I orchestrate the others to take care of dessert. Before too long, we're all seated around the beautifully decorated table – courtesy of Alice, Rose, and myself – coffee poured and pies sliced and handed out.


Glancing around at my family, I smile, nodding. Carlisle takes my hand in his before starting our long-standing family tradition of going around the table to give thanks.




Carlisle


Clearing my throat lightly, I wait until the conversations die down. Everyone turns to me expectantly – well, almost everyone. I find myself smiling as my eyes go to my oldest son, who is completely oblivious. Emmett kisses Rosalie's temple and whispers something that makes her laugh as he reaches down to place a hand on her swollen belly.


Without preamble, I say, "This year, I am thankful for growth in our family – both those who we will soon meet," Emmett beams at me, "and those we are delighted to know better." Bella blushes, smiling widely as she takes Edward's hand.




Alice


I try to restrain myself from bouncing in my seat. "This year, I'm grateful for finally being done with school, and for getting the coolest entry level job a girl could ask for."


In spite of my best efforts, I can't help myself and squeal, "I got a job at Claddagh Designs, working under Siobhan herself!"


Jasper laughs, squeezing my hand while the others all congratulate me. Edward grins. "Wow, sis, amazed you were able to keep that to yourself for so long."


I giggle and stick my tongue out at him for good measure, causing another round of laughter.




Jasper


Shifting in my seat, I fight the urge to wipe my hands on my jeans nervously. Esme catches my eye and smiles warmly, and words just pour out.


"I'm thankful for being able to have this wonderful dinner that reminds me so much of my mama's back home. I'm thankful, too, that Alice is finally out of school so I don't get calls at midnight from her freaking out because her computer crashed." I -oof- at Alice's elbow to my ribs as everyone chuckles. "And most of all, I'm thankful that Alice puts up with me."


"Always," she whispers, smiling.




Bella


Biting my lip, I try to ignore the blush creeping up my cheeks when it's my turn. Edward squeezes the back of my neck encouragingly. I smile, whispering, "Thanks."


Taking a deep breath, I glance around the table. "I'm grateful to be here, with you. To get the chance to be a part of your family. I still don't quite know what I did to deserve him, but... I'm so thankful for Edward, for his support and love, especially with Charlie in the hospital."


I take a wavering breath as Edward kisses my temple and murmurs, "He'll be okay, sweetheart."




Edward


Aware that it's my turn, I tear my eyes away from Bella. I can hear the stutter in her breathing and know she's trying to control herself – and that the last thing she wants is to be the center of attention.


So I draw attention to me instead.


"You all know I'm thankful for all of you. Mom, for always believing in me. Dad, for letting me survive my teenage years." My parents laugh as I offer my thanks to the rest of the family before turning to Bella. "And I'm most grateful that you never gave up on me."




Rosalie


My hands automatically go to my belly, gently caressing the bump – her foot, I think – that's protruding from it. I can't stop smiling as I glance at Emmett and see the look of love and awe on his face as he watches me.


"I'm thankful for Emmett, for giving me this wonderful gift. And for going on midnight ice cream runs when I ask, or driving across town for my favorite pad thai."


Esme chuckles and reaches over to gently pat my arm. Grinning, I turn to her and Carlisle. "I'm thankful to you for raising such a wonderful man."




Emmett


Everyone turns to me expectantly – and I know exactly what they're expecting. Joking Emmett, making everybody laugh.


I surprise even myself when my voice is gruff and intense. "Thank you so much, Rosie… for this," I gently rub her stomach where I feel our baby kicking. I look down, struggling to say what I mean. "Seriously. I can't ever thank you enough. You're amazing."


Everyone does laugh then, when I kiss my wife hard. She smiles against my lips, and I laugh when I hear Edward mutter, "Never thought someone would tame him."


"Amazing, isn't it?" Alice adds in disbelief.




Esme


As the laughter dies down, I look around me, my eyes lingering upon each of my children – both those I have born, and those who've since come to us. Finally, my gaze rests on Carlisle as I lace our hands together.


As usual, my throat feels heavy with emotion as I express my gratitude for thirty years of marriage to him. For the wonder that is our family. The miracle that is my first grandchild. Everything we've lived through – the good, the bad, and everything in between.


"Thank you. All of you. I love you."


Carlisle kisses my hand, smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment