Sunday, January 2, 2011

Marked Chapter 25 - Hanging by a Moment


EPOV

I woke up the following morning to Jasper shivering. I put the back of my hand against his forehead, frowning at the heat coming off of him. Rolling over, I reached for the thermometer and turned to give it to Jasper. He was a little groggy, but I wasn't sure if that was from still being half-asleep or from the fever.

When it beeped, he frowned, handing it to me with a sigh as he let his head fall back on his pillow.

102.1°F

Damn it...

"Jazz..." I glanced at him.

He groaned, muttering, "I'm fine..."

I lifted one eyebrow, holding the thermometer out to him again. "This says otherwise. You need to call, baby."

He looked at me with pleading eyes. His voice was still hoarse and a little whiny as he said, "But I'm feeling better..."

"Oh, really?" My voice was a lot sterner than I'd intended it to be, enhanced by the gruffness of early morning. "No more aches and pains? No headaches, no nausea, no more feeling weak?"

He huffed at me as he curled up in a ball, burrowing his face into his pillow. I sat up and ran my fingers through his hair with a sigh. "Come on, Cuddles. Call the doc? I'm worried about you. You're burning up, baby."

A muffled, "No...don't want to. I'll be fine," just barely reached my ears.

I bit my lip, trying not to laugh - or curse. I couldn't quite believe how much of a baby Jasper was being about seeing the doctor. I had to admit that the extra cuddliness of a sick Jasper was kind of nice, but I really was worried about him.

I sat back for a moment, perplexed as I tried to figure out how to get him to go. There seemed to be one thing that always motivated him - hell, me too - so I decided to try it. Shifting, I crawled over him, keeping my body inches from his as I ducked my head to whisper in his ear, allowing my breath to fan over his skin. "Please, Jazz, for me?"

Moving to rest most of my weight on my left arm, I let my right hand skim along his back a few times as I murmured, "The sooner you're better, the sooner we can have some fun again." I lowered my head, teasing his neck with my lips, trailing my tongue along his salty skin.

It might not have been the nicest thing to do, but he wasn't being cooperative and I wasn't above coercing him to get him to do what he needed to do. He groaned, shivering, though I couldn't be sure whether that was due to his fever or in response to me.

Jasper turned his face just far enough to glare at me as he grumbled, "You don't play fair, Doc."

I grinned. "Never said I did."

He huffed, then reached for the phone. "Fine, fine...I'll call."

"Thanks, baby."

I pecked him on the lips and then went to use the bathroom. Just as I walked through the door, I heard him say, "Mornin', Jackie, how are you, darlin'? It's Jasper Whitlock."

The name sounded familiar, but I shook it off. There were plenty of people with that name. I chuckled at hearing him flirt - so typically Jasper. By the time I came back, Jasper was already done and was lying on his back, staring at the ceiling. I walked around the bed to sit on his side and placed my hand on his hip.

"What time?"

"Hmm? Oh, got lucky...someone canceled, so they had an opening at nine. Was trying to get myself motivated to move."

I glanced at the clock and frowned. "Where's your office?"

He tilted his head a little and gave me a half-grin. "Commonwealth Avenue, actually."

No way...

I frowned. "What's your doctor's name?"

He shrugged. "Gerandy, why?"

My eyebrows flew up in surprise. "You're shitting me."

"What's wrong?"

I shook my head, laughing shakily in disbelief. "How long have you been going there?"

It was his turn to frown. He propped himself up against the headboard, his eyes searching mine. "Pretty much since I moved to Boston. Why? What's going on?"

I muttered, "Unbelievable..."

His tone was slightly annoyed as he said, "Edward? What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong. Dr. Gerandy's been my family's doctor since I was little is all." I shook my head again, still amazed at finding yet another thread that joined our lives.

Jasper's eyes widened as he gaped at me. He stared at me for several seconds, and then he was shaking his head, too. He mumbled, "I wonder if we've ever run into each other without realizing..."

I shrugged. "Probably not. I don't get sick a lot, either. Usually go in for annual and flu shots, and that's about it." I paused, giving him an appraising look and a grin. "Besides... I think I would've remembered you."

He chuckled, trying his best at a seductive look before he wet his parched lips and frowned. He tilted his head and crossed his arms over his chest. "Speaking of coincidences...just how do you know Alice?"

I chuckled and quirked an eyebrow as I pointed to my tribal tattoo. "I met her when I got this. She was there to deliver something to Billy, and we got to talking. Hit it off pretty good and stayed in touch over the years. It's sort of casual, but I hang out with her and Becca sometimes..." Glancing at the clock, I frowned. "You'd better get moving, baby, or we won't get there on time."

He nodded and grudgingly got up. As he got ready, he told me about meeting Alice in one of his study groups. "That's how I found out about Billy's place, actually - through Alice when I was looking to get a tattoo." We got into the car, and he kept talking as I drove, grinning as he explained how Alice got Angela and Ben together.

"She'd been trying to set Ben up with Angela for a while, but one of them always bowed out for whatever reason. Then one night, a group of us were going clubbing, and she finally convinced Angela to come along. They hit it off, obviously. Alice has been playing matchmaker pretty much since."

He told me about a few other of Alice's escapades, most of which seemed to end up reasonably well for the people involved. I was still chuckling as we pulled up to the doctor's office, completely able to envision Alice trying to work her particular brand of magic. I'd overheard Becca and Billy talk about her often enough to know that Alice rarely failed when she set her mind to something. Hell, I'd seen the woman in action, too, though I'd always resisted her attempts for me.

Now, I wondered what would have happened if I'd let her do as she'd wanted.

Would Jasper and I have met sooner? Would it have made a difference?

I wasn't sure about that, so I decided to just let it be and not worry about it. After all, our experiences made us the men we were, right? Made Jasper the guy I'd fallen in love with.

Still the thought of possibly having him sooner... of losing all that time with him...

Jasper put his hand on my thigh, squeezing it lightly as he murmured, "Hey, where did you go?"

I blinked, startled to realize we'd been sitting in the car for the past couple of minutes, and I'd spaced out. He frowned, tilting his head. "Are you okay, Princess?"

A small smile formed on my lips as I nodded, placing my hand over his. "Yeah, I'm fine, sweetheart. Just thinking is all. Come on, it's almost nine; we'd better get you inside."

It didn't take us long to go through the motions of checking in. Jasper flirted with Jackie, who eyed us both speculatively as she greeted me cheerfully. "Well, hey there, handsome. You didn't have an appointment, too; did you?"

Jackie had called me "handsome" for as long as I could remember. She'd been with Dr. Gerandy since he opened up his clinic a few years before I was born.

I grinned, shaking my head. "Nope, I'm just here for Jasper."

Jasper blushed a little, ducking his head as Jackie grinned from ear to ear and clapped her hands together. "Oh, Jasper, dear, you're a very lucky man, indeed. He's a prize, this one."

Her comments had heat rising on my cheeks, too. Thankfully, Jasper was called in before she could get too caught up in her delight. Jasper gave me a soulful, pouty look as he disappeared through the doors to the back of the doctor's office. I shook my head with a fond chuckle and settled in to bide my time until he was finished.

There wasn't really much to do, so I leafed through a few of the magazines. None of them really held my interest, as they were mostly those family or women-oriented ones, but some of the pictures were pretty good. I was studying the composition of a landscape when Jasper came shuffling back.

He looked dead on his feet and utterly miserable.

I sighed, immediately dropping the magazine onto a table and walking to his side. I slipped my arm around his waist, and he did the same. We said goodbye to Jackie - well, I said goodbye, and Jasper sort of mumbled. Then I half-supported him back to the car, where he put his head against the headrest and closed his eyes.

"You okay, Jazz?" I asked as I started the car.

"Mmm...flu," he mumbled. I thought he wasn't going to say anything else, but then he opened one eye and peered over at me. "Fucking shot in the ass."

I couldn't help laughing even as I reached over to squeeze his knee. "I'm sorry, baby... it'll help you feel better, though."

He grumbled and exhaled heavily, closing his eyes again. He didn't say anything else as I drove through town to drop off his prescriptions. His breathing was a little labored, and I could tell from the slump of his shoulders that he was exhausted.

As soon as we got back to his apartment, Jasper went straight back to bed. I made myself something to eat and cleaned up a little before going to pick up his medicine.

When I got back, I sat down on the couch, staring at my phone. The next day would be his birthday, and we'd intended on celebrating it by having a small party for him, but that was obviously out of the question now.

Wishing won't change anything, Masen.

With a sigh, I sent texts to the people who'd need to know. I set my phone on silent, so it wouldn't disturb Jasper, and went to bed. Like before, he didn't wake up but gravitated to me almost immediately after I'd gotten settled. I grabbed my journal, needing to write down the things that were plaguing the edges of my mind.

I watched Jasper for a while and then let my thoughts stream onto the pages. My worries for him - about his past, how things were for him now, about his future. What I'd witnessed and learned these past few weeks. It was strange, in a way. It had been only a few weeks, yet it felt like a lifetime ago.

Every once in a while, I'd pause in my writing, running my fingers through Jasper's hair or caressing whatever skin I could reach without jostling him. My phone lit up a few times with new messages. I read and replied to each one, thanking them for their concern, promising to pass along their well-wishes once Jasper was awake. Mike again told me to call if I needed anything, which I appreciated.

When my caller-ID flashed Emily, I extricated myself from Jasper's hold, leaving my journal on my pillow with my pen keeping my place. I quietly went into the living room to answer, keeping my voice low as I said, "Hey Emily."

"Edward, hey. Got your text. How's he doing?"

I pulled one leg up as I sat back on the couch, wrapping my arm around it. I sighed softly. "He's doing alright, I guess. He's been really sick, poor guy. Made him go to the doctor's earlier, though; his temperature was too high."

I paused when she giggled. With a chuckle of my own, I added, "Never woulda guessed your brother would be such a baby about going to the doctor."

Emily laughed at that. "Yeah, he always was. Mama used to have a really hard time gettin' him to to go. Daddy always ended up having to step in. You're lucky he caved as quick as he did."

I bit my lip, grinning as I thought that probably had more to do with the carrot I dangled in front of him than anything else. I cleared my throat. "Yeah, probably. Anyway, the doc says he's got the flu alright, so he's home for at least a few days yet."

A soft voice in the background reached my ear, and then Emily said, "Sorry, Edward, I gotta go. Time for class. Tell my big brother to be good and get better soon. I'll call tomorrow to wish him happy birthday."

"Will do. You say hi to Ri - and have a good day, okay?"

"Sure. And Edward? Thank you for taking care of him. It means a lot."

I smiled. "My pleasure, sweetie."

"Alright, gotta go. Give my love to Spurs for me."

I nodded automatically. "Of course. Talk to you soon, Lee."

"Hey, Ed? Love you, too. Bye!"

She hung up before I had a chance to respond. I stared at my phone for a while, both my face and my heart warmed by her words.

Not the Whitlock I really wanted to hear those words from, but I'll definitely take it.

My eyes flickered to Jasper's bedroom, and I sighed. Would he ever be able to say those words? To anyone? Well, anyone other than family, since I'd heard him tell Emily he loved her a few times now. I rested my chin on my knee and just sat there for a while, thinking. Eventually I went back to the bedroom, smiling when I saw Jasper curled up in a ball, his back to me.

Watching him for a moment, I tried to push away the question of whether I'd ever hear those words for him, deciding to focus on how far we'd come instead. I walked over to the bed, climbing in as carefully as I could in hopes of not waking him. I noticed that my pen had slipped from the pages of my journal, and the journal itself had shifted halfway off the pillow as well, but I brushed it off. Jasper had clearly been tossing and turning, so I was sure he'd jostled it when he moved.

Satisfied that he seemed to still be asleep, I wrote for awhile longer. After about half an hour, Jasper woke with a soft grunt. Putting my journal aside, I shifted so I was lying on my side, facing him. He turned around, smiling when he saw me. I reached out, caressing his cheek with the back of my hand.

"How are you feeling?"

He still felt very warm to the touch, but his eyes seemed a little clearer to me, and he hadn't thrown up all day. He hummed softly, closing his eyes as he leaned into my touch. "Alright. Gettin' hungry..."

I smiled. "That's a good sign. Want to eat here or in the dining room?"

"At the table, please..." He bit his lip, his eyes searching mine. "Think we can watch a movie or something after? I'm getting sick of being in bed all the time."

I laughed softly. "Alright. Why don't I get your food warmed up while you find something to watch? I forgot to bring Atlantis, but I can pick that up tomorrow, if you want."

He shrugged. "I'm sure we can figure something out."

I kissed him briefly, and he smiled against my lips, his fingers tangling in my hair to hold me close a moment longer. When we parted, I got up to warm some soup for him and make something else for myself. By the time I was done, Jasper was on the couch, curled up under the patchwork quilt his mom had made. He had dozed off again, so I allowed myself a moment to observe him. I remembered what he'd told me about his mom and how she'd instilled in him the value of homemade items.

She sounded like a special lady, and I quietly hoped I'd have the chance to meet her. Part of me wondered, as it so often did with many things, how my mother would have reacted to everything. To learning I was gay. To meeting Jasper. Whether she would have done something similar to Jasper's when it came to gifts from the heart.

I shook the thought off, not wanting to linger on things that would inevitably make me sad. Instead, I walked over to Jasper and ran my fingers through his hair. "Hey, sleepyhead, dinner's ready."

Jasper stretched and groaned, giving me a small smile as he got up and followed me to the table. We ate in comfortable silence, and I was pleased to see Jasper put away an entire bowl of the soup I'd made. Not wanting to offend his senses, I'd settled for making myself a sandwich.

After I'd done what few dishes there were, I joined him on the couch, stretching out behind him under his quilt. Air Force One had just started, and we watched that for a while, talking quietly commenting on the movie now and then. After a while, I felt his breathing even out, and I finished watching the movie as he slept.

I couldn't reach the remote, nor did I want to wake him, so I stayed where I was, watching some late night show until I felt my eyelids droop. Before I fell asleep as well, I figured I'd better get us to bed, so I nudged Jasper, whispering in his ear that it was time to go to bed and get some sleep. He muttered something I couldn't catch, his only other reaction being to snuggle further into me. I nuzzled his neck, placing a soft kiss below his ear.

"C'mon, baby..."

He grumbled but got up, stumbling slightly as he tried to keep his footing. He waited for me. I slipped my arm around his waist as we walked to his room. He crawled into bed, cuddling up close to me the moment I'd followed suit. I fell asleep holding him in my arms.

The next morning, we were woken by the phone. Jasper was conscious before I was and answered without even opening his eyes, his voice still gruff and coarse from sleep and being sick. "Whitlock residence."

When I heard him say, "Mornin', Mama," I decided to give him some privacy, despite what he'd told me about not minding if I was there when he was on the phone.

I went to the bathroom in part to give myself some time. It felt...odd...to know he was on the phone with his mother. I was fairly sure he hadn't told anyone back home about me, a suspicion that was verified when I overheard him saying he wasn't doing anything, just staying home because he was sick. He made no mention of me being here with him at all.

It stung, because it again left me wondering where we were. What we were. Whether he'd ever let me far enough into his life - and his heart - to introduce me to his family, like I wanted to have him know mine.

I took my time taking care of business, stalling as long as I could manage before going back into the bedroom. I went to my overnight bag to grab the gifts I'd gotten for his birthday and crawled onto the bed again. I placed them on my pillow right as he said goodbye to his mom. He lay with his eyes closed for a moment, just breathing steadily as if gathering his thoughts. I was too afraid to ask what he was thinking, so I used the time instead to school my features.

His time, Masen. He's not ready yet...

By the time he opened his eyes and turned to look at me, I was smiling. My smile widened when I noticed the glassy look in his eyes was gone, and I instinctively held the back of my hand against his forehead to gauge his temperature. "Your fever broke...you feeling any better?"

He nodded. I cupped his cheek, and he closed his eyes briefly as he leaned into my touch. My thumb brushing his cheekbone made him look at me again, and there was something in his eyes I couldn't identify. I wondered if it had to do with the call from his mother just now and debated asking.

I bit my lip, letting out a slow breath, and decided to just go for it. "Everything okay?"

He gave me a half-smile and nodded. "Yeah, just miss 'em, I guess. Always do."

Well, I certainly understood that feeling. I sighed, leaned in, and kissed him tenderly as I ran my fingers through his hair. "It was nice of them to call... happy birthday, baby."

He muttered a soft, "Thanks," and sighed.

Shifting to sit against the headboard, I handed him his presents. I hadn't been sure what to get him. I wanted it to be special, but with how things were between us, I wasn't sure how he'd take it if I gave him anything too personal. And in truth, though I felt I knew him well enough already, I didn't know nearly as much as I'd need to in order to feel comfortable doing something that would be too...couple-y.

Because of all of that, it'd taken me forever to figure out what to get him. In the end, I'd settled on a set of water color pencils, a new sketchpad, and a backpack portfolio. I watched him carefully as he opened each one, hoping I'd done the right thing. The one I was least certain of was the portfolio. I'd seen some of the drawings he'd made of where he grew up and even a few from around Boston, but I was by no means sure if he'd drawn them while he was out and about, or simply from pictures or memory.

The look of awe and delight that crossed his face as he opened each gift had me breathing easier. He took his time examining the backpack, opening it and checking all the pockets, holding it this way and that. When he was done, he carefully put everything on the floor - well out of the way - before moving to straddle my thighs.

He looked intently into my eyes for a moment, cupping my cheeks in his hands, and then he leaned in, kissing me deeply. I wrapped my arms around him and closed my eyes. Despite morning breath and clammy skin, it was heaven to be with him that way again. After several minutes, he pulled away just far enough to whisper, "Thank you. That was the most thoughtful gift you could've given me."

I smiled, kissed him again, and said, "I'm glad you like them. I didn't know if you had a portfolio yet, but I figured...with a backpack, it'd be easier to take with you, especially on your bike."

He grinned slightly, then said, "It's been a while since I've gone anywhere to sketch... will be nice to be able to again. Thanks, Princess."

"You're welcome, sweetheart."

He licked his lips and tilted his head, effectively stopping our conversation. We sat like that for a few minutes more, kissing languidly. It made me happy to know that he appreciated the gifts I'd given. He knew I wasn't normally one to buy gifts in advance or anything; I left things to the last minute most of the time. But this time, I'd done a lot of looking around for something just right, and I thought he knew that.

Eventually, the growling of our stomachs persuaded us to get up. After we each pulled on lounge pants, Jasper followed me into the kitchen, where I set about making scrambled eggs and toast at his request. I hoped he'd be able to handle it well enough.

He managed to eat a few bites of his eggs and both pieces of toast before he couldn't eat anymore. Once I was done as well, he helped with the dishes, which thankfully weren't too much. It was nice to be working with him again, and I felt like he really was on the mend finally.

When we finished, he leaned against the counter and pulled me to him so I stood between his legs. Wrapping my arms around him, I kissed him tenderly, and murmured, "Well, birthday boy, anything you want to do today?"

Jasper's eyes glinted mischievously, and he smiled a crooked grin as he said, "I can think of something I want to do...right...now."

He shifted his hips against mine suggestively, and I had to bite back a moan. "Jasper..."

He gave me a look of feigned innocence as he said, "What?"

I narrowed my eyes at him, but the effect was negated somewhat when he pressed me closer to him, and I moaned. "Jazz, baby, I don't think you're up for anything yet. You're just starting to feel better, sweetheart..."

He reached behind him, took my hand, and moved it to cup his growing erection. His eyes held mischief and heat in them as he said huskily, "Oh, I'm always up for you, darlin'..."

I snorted, but my voice was husky when I said, "What are you, twelve?"

He wasn't put off in the least bit as he rubbed our hands over his length, lowering his voice and nipping my lip. "Does this feel like I'm twelve?"

I rested my forehead against his, muttering, "Christ, Jazz..." I did nothing to stop him, even though I knew I should. I caressed his cock with my fingertips, trying like hell to push away my own desire.

He ducked his head, kissing along my neck as he whispered, "Please, Princess? I need you..."

I tilted my head to the side, reveling in the feel of him. "Shouldn't..." I rasped.

When he squeezed our hands around his cock, we both whimpered. Pulling away, I looked into his eyes, trying to steady my breathing - and my resolve. The longing I saw on his face did nothing to strengthen it. Cupping his cheek, I kissed him tenderly and whispered, "I'll take care of you, baby."

I wasn't just talking about his immediate needs, either, and I hoped he realized that. I never got the chance to elaborate, though, because he crashed his lips to mine in a hungry kiss, and he didn't let go until we were both starving for air.

My voice was gruff as I said, "Shower."

He quirked a brow, his eyes searching mine. I grinned, giving him a pointed look as I said, "You've been sick. Shower first..."

He groaned but nodded his assent and began pushing me backward toward his room. I turned around, grabbed his hand, and led the way to the bathroom. Once there, I started the shower, and by the time I turned around, Jasper had already kicked off his lounge pants and was palming himself.

"Shit," I muttered under my breath, my eyes fixated on the swollen head of his cock disappearing into his hand only to reappear almost immediately.

He grinned, then released himself to slip his fingers under the waistband of my pants. He pulled them down and trailed his hands up my legs again as he rose, brushing lightly against my hard-on. Inhaling sharply, I grabbed his wrist and shook my head. "Uh-uh, Jazz, I said I'd take care of you, and I will. Now get under that shower."

I watched his pupils dilate as he heard the tone of my voice, the same one I'd used during the shoot, and I had to fight back a grin. Once we were in the shower, I washed his hair, massaging his scalp as I did so. I could feel Jasper relax against me in spite of himself, and I could just see him closing his eyes, a smile playing on his lips.

Grabbing a wash cloth, I lathered it up and began to wash him from head to toe, not leaving an inch of him untouched. I cleaned his groin quickly and thoroughly, despite the way I wanted to linger. Instead, I paid plenty of attention to other places I knew he was sensitive. His moans and whimpers let me know he was enjoying the attention.

"Edward, please...", he pleaded, his voice strained.

I turned him so the spray of water hit our backs and adjusted the nozzle slightly so it wouldn't interfere with what I was about to do. Leaning in, my own voice was husky as I said, "Hands on the wall, Cuddles, and don't move."

He nodded, his breathing accelerating as he complied. Grinning, I kissed him right below his ear, nipping the skin lightly before lowering myself to my knees. Massaging his ass, I let my eyes roam over his body - taking in the way the muscles of his back rippled with every breath, every involuntary twitch of his body. I studied his broad shoulders and tapered waist... his muscular thighs and the way his calves flexed when he shifted his weight. My eyes traced the fractal tattoo along his shoulder blades, and I swallowed, breathing shallowly as I remembered the first time I'd ever seen it.

Jasper was beautiful - and even more so when he let go completely... something I aimed to make happen.

He whimpered impatiently. I grinned, then left open-mouthed kisses from hip to hip, before slowly making my way to where I wanted to be. He gave a low groan when my tongue pressed flat against his puckered flesh. Hissing softly, he shifted his weight from foot to foot, spreading his legs and silently begging for more.

I began to lick and tease, nip and probe, tantalize and stroke him, eliciting a string of curses, moans, and pleas from Jasper. When he tried to reach for his cock, I swatted his ass, reminding him to stay still and to keep his hands on the wall. He whimpered again.

Seeing the way he responded, tasting him and feeling him shiver spurred me on, and I increased my efforts until his legs began to tremble. I wasn't sure how much longer he'd be able to keep himself upright, so I placed my hands on his hips and pulled away with soft kisses on either cheek as I said, "Turn around, Jazz."

Guiding him to the small ledge in his shower, I grinned up at him. His expression was almost wild as he looked at me with burning eyes. As soon as he was situated, he grabbed my face in both his hands and ducked down, planting a searing kiss on my lips that had us both moaning loudly.

When he pulled back, my voice was thick as I told him to put his hands by his hips. His eyes were hooded but fixed on me as he did as he was told. I reached my hand up, cupping his cheek briefly before placing it back on his thigh.

I ran my nose along his shaft, alternately kissing and licking it at every pass. His scent was so strong, so enticing, that I moaned softly as I slid his tip between my lips. I felt him jerk a little at the sensation, causing him to slip further into my waiting mouth.

My eyes closed as his fingers tangled in my hair, but I couldn't bring myself to reprimand him for moving. I allowed him to set the pace as I bobbed my head, teasing him with my tongue ring the way I knew he loved.

He was muttering again. "Fuck, Edward, feels so good..."

His eyes closed, and I took the opportunity to lather up my hand, barely pausing as I sucked him. The moment my finger pressed against his entrance, his eyes popped open again and his fingers pulled painfully in my hair. I didn't let it stop me, and I knew I'd found what I was looking for when his hips jerked, forcing his cock down my throat. I swallowed around him and was rewarded with a string of curses that would've made a sailor blush.

Repeating this several times, I felt him start to shake again. He was panting, pleading for more - to please make him come, to fill him up, anything. I moaned around him, quickening my pace, and that sent him over the edge, his whole body convulsing with the intensity of his orgasm. His fingers tightened in my hair until my eyes watered. I winced but kept moving, slowing as I coaxed him down from his high. I had to pry his hands loose before I could release him from my mouth.

He offered a shaky apology as he met my gaze and then said, "God damn, baby...come here."

I got to my feet, my knees red and aching, and he pulled me to him at once, searching out the taste of himself as his lips locked with mine. I put my arms around his shoulders, starting to shiver a little as the cooling water hit my back.

Reluctantly, it seemed, he pulled away so I could turn off the shower. He was unable to move from his spot, though, so I ended up drying us both off and helping him to bed.

His eyes were heavy with exhaustion, as was his voice, as he said, "C'mere..."

He tried to pull me down to lie next to him but lacked the strength. I laid down beside him on top of the covers, and his hand immediately went to my hip before drifting down to my still-hard cock. I shifted his hand away, biting my lip to keep from moaning because I knew he wasn't up for anything else. Kissing him tenderly, I murmured, "Get some sleep, Jazz."

He frowned, his eyes already closed even as he protested, "But what about you?"

I ran my fingers through his hair, a fond smile on my lips as I said, "Don't worry about me; I'm fine. You get some sleep now."

Pressing my lips to his forehead, I whispered, "I'm going to run a quick errand. I shouldn't be long. I love you."

Soft snores were the only answer I got. I wasn't sure if he'd heard me, so I left him a note before heading out. Getting dressed was mildly uncomfortable, but I didn't want to take the time to do anything about my hard-on. I figured a little bit of discomfort would be worth the way it would feel when Jasper did feel like doing something about it again. Besides, I needed to get going if I hoped to be back before he woke up.

I could have cooked for him, but I'd come to understand that Jasper and his friends usually celebrated birthdays and special occasions at Aro's. Emily and I had made reservations for us there tonight, which I'd ended up cancelling once it became clear Jasper wouldn't be able to go. I didn't want him to miss out on the tradition completely, though, especially since it seemed he was feeling a lot better and could hold down food again.

It was with that in mind that I drove down to Aro's. As soon as I walked into the restaurant, I was greeted by the man himself, as he was playing host and showing people to their tables. He asked me to wait for him, and when he got back, he hugged me. "Ah, Edward, is good to see you again! How is Jasper?"

I grinned. "Doing a little better. Actually, that's why I'm here. He's still not really well enough to come out, but I was hoping to bring him some food. I don't know what he usually gets, though. Anything special?"

Aro clapped his hands together and said jovially, "Ahh! Wonderful! You are taking good care of the boy! Good, good. I know just what to do. You go sit at the bar. I take care of everything."

Gianna, who was tending the bar, insisted on giving me a drink. Since I was driving, she made me a Boston Cooler. They were fairly busy for a Tuesday, but whenever she had a chance, she stopped by to talk to me. I spent the rest of my time sipping the drink and glancing around the restaurant. There was something pleasant about it - homey - and I could see why Jasper liked it so much.

By the time I was downing the last of my drink, Aro returned with a large bag. Putting it on the bar next to me, he waved me off when I tried to take out my wallet to pay, saying, "No, no. Famiglia...on the house."

"But..."

He shook his head. "Go, make him happy - that's payment enough."

Aro hugged me again as I thanked him - and Gianna - promising that we'd be by soon, once Jasper was feeling well again.

When I got back to Jasper's place, I set the table and plated the food. I was surprised to find that Aro hadn't just given me food for Jasper, but for me as well - and dessert to boot. Jasper walked out of his room right as I was about to go check on him.

He smiled when he saw me. "Hey, what have you been up to?" His eyes flickered around the table before closing as he inhaled deeply. "Something smells good."

I grinned as I walked over to him, took his hand, and guided him to the table. Kissing him briefly, I murmured against his lips, "Just wanted to make sure you didn't miss out on anything. Aro and Gianna both wish you happy birthday, by the way."

Jasper's eyes widened as they took in the bowls of minestrone and plates piled with spaghetti with meatball marinara. He grabbed a breadstick as he sat down, his eyes drifting slyly to the cannoli in the center of the table. He took a small bite of bread and reached out with his free hand to squeeze mine lightly. "Thanks, darlin'. You didn't have to do this..."

We both started in on our bowls of soup, and Jasper stole a few bites of the spaghetti, moaning softly. I grinned and shook my head, unsure whether it was wise for him to be eating anything so heavy. I let it slide, deciding to let him just enjoy his birthday now that he was feeling a little better.

We talked idly throughout the meal, mostly with Jasper asking questions about what Mike and Emily said when I talked to them. When we finished, he braved one cannoli, insisting it was tradition. It was quickly obvious that he probably shouldn't have eaten it, since he started to look queasy again. I didn't comment, though, finishing off my own cannoli before I smiled and asked him what he wanted to do for the rest of the day.

"Nothing... just cuddle up on the couch with you, watch a movie or something?" he said.

"You sure?"

He nodded. "I mean..." He cleared his throat and glanced down at the floor before peering up at me through his lashes. "If you're staying again, I mean..."

I sighed softly as I stepped toward him. I put my hands on his hips, pulling him close enough so I could kiss his cheek and whisper in his ear, "Jasper, there's nowhere else I want to be. I'm here until you order me away... okay?"

He blushed faintly, and he reached up, his hands tightening around my waist. He nuzzled his cheek against mine, urging me to tilt my head. He captured my lips in a soft kiss that grew stronger as he gave a quiet moan. He kept things chaste, and when he pulled back, his eyes were brighter, some of the uncertainty gone. "Okay. That's not happening, though..."

We stood there for long, silent moments, looking into each other's eyes as I heard what he wasn't saying, at least not in words. My lips curved into a smile before I kissed him again and then stepped back, trying to make my voice normal. "Good. Okay, go pick out whatever you want... I'm gonna clean up, and then I'll meet you in there?"

Aro had given me way too much food, so I carefully packed the leftovers away. I heard the phone ring while I was still in the kitchen, and I smiled when I heard Jasper say, "Hey, Mike... what's up?"

It was at least the fourth time Mike had called while Jasper had been sick. I was glad to know that Jasper had such good people in his life, so many friends who cared about him.

After grabbing us a bottle of water each, I made my way into the living room. Jasper sat on the corner of the couch, his quilt spread over his legs, which were curled up underneath him. He was laughing at something Mike was telling him, and he blushed a little when he caught my eye, grinning shyly.

Somehow, I don't think I really want to know what that is about.

Who am I kidding? Of course I do...

I kept the question to myself, though, and Jasper patted the space next to him, indicating I should sit down. I motioned to the TV, but he held up the remote in his other hand, waving it at me. I realized he'd already set everything up, which meant he just needed to get off the phone.

I sat down next to Jasper, and he immediately shifted to snuggle against my side, making me smile. Wrapping my arm around his shoulders, I kissed his temple, earning me a warm grin. I didn't pay any attention to the conversation he was having with Mike, instead choosing to simply enjoy being here with him.

I didn't tune into the conversation until Jasper said, "Yeah, man, thanks for calling. Tell the guys I said 'hi'?"

He laughed at something Mike said, his eyes flickering to mine as he blushed again. He cleared his throat. "Uhh, yeah... will do. Bye."

I raised an eyebrow in question. "You'll do, what? Or should I be afraid to ask?"

He bit his lip, his eyes alight with mischief as he said, "Depends on how you look at it, I guess. But Mike said for me to let you take care of me."

I narrowed my eyes a little. "Why do I get the feeling there was more to it than that?"

He grinned. "Because maybe there was, but that's for me to know..." He trailed off, adding under his breath, "And for Mike to stay out of."

"And me?" My tone was playful, but my heart skipped a beat all the same. I could tell there was more to their conversation, and I wasn't sure how to feel about Jasper keeping something from me.

He shifted again so that we were at eye level. His voice was more serious, even as it became a little hoarse with some emotion I couldn't place. He spoke softly, "It's for you to figure out..."

He crawled onto my lap then, his hands on either side of my face as he gazed into my eyes. It was as if he were trying to read into my soul. Before I could ask what he was looking for, he ducked his head, kissing me languidly. His fingers caressed my neck and my cheek and ran through my hair, making me forget everything for a while. He pressed closer, deepening our kiss and holding me tightly, leaving me breathless.

When he pulled back, he smiled lazily, pecked my lips once more, and said, "Thanks, Princess."

I wasn't sure what he was thanking me for, but something told me to accept it and not ask questions. I nodded. "You're welcome, Cuddles." My voice, like his, was heavier with emotion than the words seemed to warrant. His eyes were a strange mixture of guarded and open, and I felt a surge of frustration that we were still keeping secrets. I took a steadying breath, though, reminding myself that he was sick. There would be more time to talk when he was well. The realization that we really were okay and that there would be a later for us made my smile more genuine as I said, "Now, what movie did you pick out?"

He grinned. "Movies, you mean?" I quirked a brow, and he added, "Figured we could watch Star Wars? Since you're here for a while."

He sounded almost pleading, his lips pouting a little as he looked at me. I chuckled, rolled my eyes, and said, "If that's what you want, baby, that's fine by me. Haven't seen them in a while."

With one more peck on the lips, he crawled off of me so we could sit more comfortably. I stretched out with my back to the armrest, and Jasper snuggled up to me, his back to my chest. He started The Phantom Menace and asked me who my favorite Jedi was.

"Hmm...that's a tough one. There's a few, really, but if I had to choose..." My brow furrowed as I thought a moment, then grinned and indicated the screen where Obi Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn were being escorted to a room by a protocol droid. "Him. Qui-Gon."

"You mean Liam Neeson?" Jasper teased.

I grinned. "No, you asked about Jedi. If that's the question, definitely Ewan McGregor."

He laughed, and when I asked him about his favorite Jedi, he said, "Yoda. Hands down."

"You like little, green, shapeless men you can fit in your backpack... awesome. Looks like I can stop working out."

Jasper hit my thigh, and we laughed together before we finally started paying attention to the movie. From time to time, we talked, discussing why we liked certain characters and giving each other a hard time in general. It felt good because the flush on Jasper's cheek was there from passion - and occasional embarrassment - instead of fever.

The knowledge that he was getting better was bittersweet, in a way. I hated seeing him sick or hurting, but at the same time, I'd loved every minute of being here with him - well, almost every minute. The puking I could've done without, but such was life.

Going to sleep and waking up with him every day for the past few days had felt right - and it had made me hopeful for the future. He appeared to be okay with my being around twenty-four-seven, and he even seemed to enjoy having me around as much as I liked being around him. Even if he wasn't able to say the words that continued to burn on my tongue, what he had happened between us just after Mike's phone call made me think that there was a chance he might get there soon.

I hoped he would. I yearned to hear him say he loved me.

Kissing the crown of his head, I settled back into the movie. It wasn't long before the phone rang again, the way it continued to for the rest of the afternoon and on into the evening. Each time it did, Jasper would pause the movie and snuggle up against me. We'd sit like that - with my arms around him and me nuzzling his neck or kissing his cheek or temple - until the calls were done. It made me smile to hear him talk to Angela, Alice, and a few of the guys. When his sister-in-law called, I held on a little tighter, burrowing my face into his neck so he wouldn't see the hurt I felt when he again made no mention of me being here - or being in his life at all.

I had no idea what to think of the fact that he'd skated over 'us'. He got quiet again after he hung up with Mack, shifting slightly in my arms so he could rest his head against my chest, his arm thrown over my lap. He seemed saddened by something, and I wondered whether he was bothered by the same thing I was. And that thought had me floundering. I didn't know what to do - how to ask him about it - and before I could, the phone rang again.

Jasper's face lit up instantly at the sight of Emily's name on the caller ID, and I reminded myself that she, at least, knew about me. About us. And so did all his friends. I hugged him to me, kissing his forehead as he answered the phone.

"Hey, Lee Lee!"

He paused, grinning, and I couldn't help my own from forming when I heard Emily singing "Happy Birthday" rather loudly on the other end. Jasper met my gaze and rolled his eyes, then said, "Thanks, sis."

They talked for a while. For the most part, he was upbeat, but every now and then he'd glance at me with a strange look in his eyes. Whenever he did, he'd reach for me, apparently without thought, as if he simply needed to touch me.

He had entwined our fingers as they were winding down their conversation, with Jasper admonishing Emily to take care of herself and promising to call her soon. I whispered, "Tell her I said 'hi'."

He nodded, turned his face to peck my lips, and shifted back again. "Edward says hi, by the way." There was a pause, and then, "I will, Lee."

Jasper squeezed my hand, holding tightly for a little too long as he caught my eye and said gruffly, "Love you, too. Talk to you soon."

He ended the call, his eyes on mine for a long beat before he sighed, resting his head back on my shoulder and closing his eyes. My heart felt as if it skipped several beats before restarting again.

It was a coincidence. Nothing more. Those words weren't for you, but for his sister. You've heard him tell her that plenty of times before.

I had to close my eyes and take a slow, deep breath to steady myself. Did I want to hear him say those words so much that I was putting more behind the surely subconscious gesture? I tried to compose myself, reminding myself that he was still sick, even if he was getting better - and that things would happen if and when they were supposed to. He had issues to work out for himself before he'd be able to really love again.

I knew I had to be patient. It just felt as if we were so close. So very close to being what I wanted to be - what I was sure we could be.

Pressing my lips to his temple, I breathed in his scent to remind myself that we were here, together; I just had to be thankful for that. I glanced down at his face and noticed he was looking a little pale and tired again. His eyes were still closed, and his brow was slightly furrowed, as if he was working over something in his mind.

"You look tired, baby. Why don't we call it a night? Star Wars will be there in the morning," I whispered.

He nodded, then opened his eyes and turned to kiss me briefly. He stopped the movie, turned off the TV, and got up, stretching his arms over his head while he waited for me to do the same. As soon as I stood beside him, he wrapped his arms around my shoulders and pulled me to him. Slipping my own around his waist, we stood like that for several minutes before he murmured, "Thank you, Edward."

Pulling back slightly, I looked at him questioningly. "For what, sweetheart?"

His lips twitched into a smile that vanished just as quickly as it came. He cupped my cheek as he gazed into my eyes. "For being here... making my birthday feel special. For being you."

His thumb brushed my cheekbone several times before he pressed his lips tenderly to mine. I thought for a second there was more he'd wanted to say, but when he let go, he smiled and headed to the bedroom. I followed behind with my own quiet smile on my face.


1 comment:

  1. Erm . . . I noticed Chapter 26 is posted on fanfic. Are you going to be posting it here any time soon? Ever since I saw your note that you would only be posting edited versions on FF, I have been reading it here.

    ReplyDelete