Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Covert Ops


A/N: Happy Birthday, mrsyt31! We hope you have a fantastic day. Quil and Embry decided to come play for a little while, so enjoy!
As ever, we do not own Twilight - it owns us.
ooOoo

Attempt

“Oh, hell yes! Check this out, Em!”

My heart beats faster as I lean closer, watching over his shoulder as Quil plays Black Ops on his DS. The increase in my pulse isn’t for explosions and gunshots, though.

It’s for the way he smells and the heat of his body, heat I can feel even through the distance between us.

I barely stop myself from inhaling deeply and closing my eyes. Instead, I sit back quickly and busy myself with pulling my headphones from my backpack so I can try to study.

And I thought the library would be safe.

Torture

Quil is oblivious to everything – completely absorbed by his game, only barely managing not to be too loud and getting us kicked out.

His thigh keeps brushing against mine every time he excitedly shifts in his seat.

His frustrated grunts and huffs bring images to mind of
other reasons for them.

Reasons that make my pants become very constricting, and my blood race through my veins.
God, why do I keep doing this?

It's always the same thing, and I can never seem to resist.

Not that I ever really try.

Annoyed, I run my hands through my hair.
Fuck...

Hide

I pull my headphones from my ears and toss them on my backpack, sighing as I stand up and stretch. “Be right back,” I mumble.

As I make my escape, I can’t help but wonder why he’s here. It’s clear that he doesn’t plan to study. So why would he want to come with me?

It’s a question I just can’t answer, so I shove it away in frustration. Instead, I head to the computer and type in my search, drumming my fingers impatiently on the desktop. While I wait, I breathe deeply and roll my shoulders, trying to relax.

Find
After a bit of searching, I finally find what I'm looking for. Scribbling down the number and where to look, I tear the paper and go in search of the book I need for my AP Psych class.
It takes several minutes before I finally find it. Not being in any particular hurry to get back to the table, I lean against the shelf and start flipping through the book, skimming a few pages randomly.
I'm lost in a paragraph about perception when I'm startled out of my concentration by Quil playfully tickling my side.
“'s taking so long, dude?”

Quip

“Just trying to make sure this one will work for my paper,” I answer absently, stepping away as I try to get my heart rate under control.

“What paper?” he asks.

I roll my eyes, marking my place with my finger. “My Psych paper? The reason I’m here?”

“Oh yeah. Psych.” He grins playfully, narrowing his eyes. “What am I thinking right now?”

At that, I burst out laughing. “That’s psychic, you moron.”

“Not even close,” he answers smugly. His eyes scan the shelf to my right, and he plucks a book off. “Maybe this’ll help you figure it out.”

Cryptic
Handing it to me, he tilts his head, giving me the most curious look I've ever seen before turning around and leaving me to stand there – staring after him.
Shaking my head, I glance down at the cover of the book, bewildered.
The Social Psychology of Personal Relationships? What the hell?
I look to where Quil walked, only seeing shelves blocking my view.
My mind's incapable of coherent thought as the words relationship and Quil chase each other through my head.
After a few minutes of that, I finally open the book, checking out the table of contents.
I wonder...

Confused

As I read through the chapter titles, I mutter under my breath, “Adult Attachment… Interracial Relationships… Dyadic Data?”

By the time I hit the last, even I can hear the question in my voice. Huffing, I put the book back on the shelf.

Dunno what the hell I expected… he just picked it randomly.

My annoyance grows as I shake my head, sighing. I walk back toward our table, not knowing what else to do, and I’m surprised by what I find there.

Quil is again playing his game, but he’s slumped in his chair and his shoulders are hunched.

Distant
Staring at him for a moment, I try to puzzle out for myself what's going on, even though I'm getting nowhere fast.
With a sigh, I run my fingers through my hair.
Just can't fucking win, can I?
I feel like I'm walking on eggshells as I go to take my seat again. Quil seems to flinch as I sit down, but doesn't otherwise react. In fact, he's ignoring my presence, which stings, making me wonder if I've done something wrong.
Taking a deep breath, I slowly cover his wrist with my hand and whisper, “Hey, Quil? What's going on?”

Gulp

Quil’s eyes lift far enough to stare at my hand on his wrist. He licks his lips slowly and takes a deep breath, swallowing before finally meeting my gaze.

He shrugs.

I frown at him and pull my hand away, clenching it into a fist at my side. “What did I do?”

His eyes widen in surprise before his face twists into a grimace. “You didn’t do anything.”

His voice holds a hint of irony that I can’t understand as he turns his attention back to his game. I shake my head and pick up my book without opening it.

Courage
I stare at the book clutched in my hands, frowning and trying to figure him out.
Quil's not studying but came anyway.
Relationships...
Figure what out, exactly?
The more I think back, the deeper my brow furrows as memories flash past.
Quil laughing, his eyes on me.
Always sitting close to me.
Including me.
Sharing his dreams.
Comforting me.
Sticking up for me in school.
Glancing at him, I start to wonder if I was wrong. If he could possibly be...
Shaking my head at the thought, I take a deep breath, muttering, “Only one way to find out, right?”

Piercing

As soon as I speak, he looks up. His dark eyes pin me in place, and I feel my breath catch at the fear and uncertainty I see there – all mixed with hope.

“Quil?” I whisper without meaning to.

Emotions flit across his deep brown eyes faster than I can decipher them. “What’s up, Em?” His voice is just a little too light, letting me know he’s tense.

He attempts a smile that fades quickly, and something about his vulnerability spurs me into action.

Please, please, want this, too.

My hand lifts, cupping his cheek as I watch him questioningly.

Answer
A pained expression flits across his face, gone as fast as it came as he leans into my touch, closing his eyes.
I stare in wonder, my thumb brushing his cheekbone, my heart thudding in my chest.
Oh. My. God... Quil? How? When?! Why hasn't he-?
At that thought, I scold myself. After all, I hadn’t exactly told him, either.
I still haven't.
Not really.
I smile as I realize that I can change that.
“Quil?” I whisper, leaning closer, our noses almost touching.
His eyes widen in surprise as they open. He moans – a sound of pain and longing.

Tentative

“Embry?” His voice is shaky as he starts to pull back. He stops, steeling himself to reach across, resting just the tips of his fingers on my knee.

I swallow slowly, realizing just how unsure he is. I hope like hell that it’s because he doesn’t know how I feel – not because he doesn’t know how he feels.

Only one way to find out.

My eyes close of their own accord as I lean toward him. My lips meet his cheek, and I don’t realize I’m holding my breath until I sit back and it comes out in a rush.

Tense
My anxiety ramps up as I wait for a reaction from him. He's just sitting there, staring at me, his body so still I actually start to wonder if he's still breathing.
“Q-quil?” I whisper and sit back, my voice catching.
At the sound of his name, he blinks. He takes in a gulp of air, his whole body alive with the movement. His eyes meet mine as he lets it out slowly.
I try to speak again, but I can't. My throat's too tight with nerves.
Oh God, I screwed up. He's-
His lips close over mine.
-kissing me?

Stunned

I waste time sitting there, absolutely frozen in my seat before I realize that my chance is fading away. Not even pausing to think about where we are, I cup Quil’s face between my hands and deepen our kiss.

A soft moan escapes me when his lips part and his hand slides onto my knee, squeezing nearly painfully. His tongue brushes mine tentatively, and my mind races, full of incoherent thoughts all centering around three things: disbelief, excitement, and Quil.

When he finally pulls away, his smile is almost shy – so unlike the guy who’s been my lifelong best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment